Toshiba 120GB MK1234GSX SATA Hard Drive Review!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 9, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Everyone loves more storage space. And Toshiba will give you that with their latest 2.5" hard drive with a capacity of 120GB - the Toshiba MK1234GSX.

Today, we will take a look at this Serial ATA hard drive and find out just how big and fast it is!

[​IMG]

Link : Toshiba 120GB MK1234GSX SATA Hard Drive Review!

2. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

it's so amazing that laptop storage is getting bigger and bigger. man, a lot of these laptop parts are even better/faster than a lot of desktop counterparts.

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i don't understand why the "8mb sdram buffer" is highlighted as one of its features...

its VERY common for 2.5" hdd to have 8mb or 16mb buffer these days...

4. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

well, I guess it's because a lot of drives are still come with 2mb as well.

5. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

Seems like 2.5" hdd with 2mb buffer has disappeared from Singapore's retail market for quite some...

I dunno abt other countries though..

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, many notebooks still come with small 4200 RPM (or if you are lucky, 5400 RPM) hard drives with 2MB of cache.

The reason why most hard drives you see sold in retail outlets have 8MB is because they are meant to be upgrades. If you already have a hard drive with a 2MB buffer, you are unlikely to be tempted to buy another hard drive with 2MB of cache, especially in a country like Singapore. :D

7. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

i couldnt quite agree with u, do you buy a notebook that is "meant to be upgraded"?

well, my acer laptop comes with a 4200rpm 8mb 60gb hdd...

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Erm...most of the notebooks can be upgraded.

9. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

mayb i wasnt clear, but that's not wad i meant..

i mean u dun buy a cheap notebook n start upgrading every component possible right? buying a notebook that's "meant to be upgraded" doesnt make any sense...

10. Chai

Why not? Notebooks HDD are so easy to upgrade, anyone can do it, most of the notebooks allow HDD upgrading by just removing a simple screw or even none! And I've not seen one in my office which doesn't allow. No one is asking you to upgrade processor...

I've seen people upgrading HDD on their old notebooks, this is very common, that's why they are 2.5" HDD in retail stores these days. Old notebooks especially has very small capacity, 20GB is barely enough, in fact, I think 120GB is just OK, that's why I'm still using desktop! :haha: Notebooks are just not good enough to meet my demands. Ok I know I'm going off topic, but the fact of the matter is, upgrading notebook HDD is so simple, and it's very common.

11. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

zzz... i'm not saying CANNOT UPGRADE..
    i upgraded it myself too...
    i am saying that: let say u wanna buy a laptop, there are 2 choices, one with 20gb while the other with 100gb, u don't buy the 20gb one so that u have a better reason to upgrade

i trying to make a diff between "meant to be upgraded" & "can be upgraded"

but most ppl buy 2.5" hdd @ retail stores to use as external storage device.. its almost as popular as thumbdrives these days with low $/GB & highly portable..

12. Chai

Yup, that's correct. What you have stated earlier wasn't really clear to me. Peace. :mrgreen:

13. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

yup, peace :D

14. Adrian Wong

Actually, most notebooks here do not come with the option for an upgrade.

Logically, I would agree with you. If we have the choice of buying the laptop with a better hard drive or buying it with a lousier one and upgrading, the choice is obvious. However, in real life, we are not given that choice.

So, the question of buying a notebook meant to be upgraded doesn't come up at all. I HAVE to upgrade all the notebooks I buy. :mrgreen:

I suppose it's possible in Singapore to request for a better hard drive. But over here, it's not possible at all.

15. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

your right, u can negotiate with the dealer for free upgrades, disct or freebies...

16. Adrian Wong

Ahhh.. Wished it was the case here. So far, I've only managed to get them to upgrade my notebook's RAM, but at my own expense, of course. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, hard drive upgrades are so far a big no-no. I think only Dell offers that kind of flexibility here.