Scythe Ninja Plus Heatpipe CPU Cooler!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 29, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Looking for the biggest, baddest CPU cooler that doesn't come with the roar of an F-16 engine on afterburners? The Japanese company, Scythe, may have just the cooler for you.

Their new Ninja Plus heatpipe CPU cooler is not only large and heavy, it also comes with six heatpipes! Talk about being monstrous!

[​IMG]

Link : Scythe Ninja Plus Heatpipe CPU Cooler!

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

heatsink makers are giving a "more mass the better" impression..

i wonder if these monsters will bend the mobo aft a long period of usage..

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

oh ya, once heard a rumour in some tech website that a few years time, intel's might be making processors that integrate a 1-molecule-wide-waterpipe to cool itself...

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well tower coolers have been around for a while now. CoolerMaster's was one of the first. So these aren't exactly new, but they do perform well. Just take extra care moving your pc around.. :mrgreen:

5. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

The Ninja is not so bad though, coz the weight is quite spread out and most of it is at the bottom. I do wonder if the Big Typhoon will bend a motherboard over time, or whether those 6 small heatpipes holding up all that mass will bend first :haha:
    It's still a fairly new product (BT) so we shall see.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, thats a big chunk of heatsink hanging on heatpipes... :p I wouldn't have that in my PC... :p I kinda want the socket to stay on the mobo. :p

7. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

ic... dun haf a pc..
    so was juz wondering

8. I was actually choosing between this Scythe, the Big Typhoon and the Akasa. Scythe Ninja works very well as I've been told. But I felt that both the Ninja and the BT obscures the inside view of the case too much. :haha:

9. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

if u are going for such expensive HSF, would u consider to get a budget water-cooling instead?

10. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Err. Coz watercooling costs even more? :mrgreen:

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Much much more...

Budget? I haven't seen a good budget items! :haha:

12. CompactNinja

CompactNinja Newbie

Just go to your local junkyard and find a big wad of metal to put on your CPU... should work fine :nuts:

13. I was considering it. But since I only run my rig with my air-conditioner on, I figured that I don't really have the need for it right now. :mrgreen: My CPU temps rarely go as high as 40C even at full load. :thumb:

14. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

How about this one? Any thoughts?
    http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=3088
    At $199 Australian dollars seems pretty cheap to me, high end air cooling is reaching a hundred bucks now.
    I'm at the point where I need to look at cooling seriously, so any help would be greatly appreciated:mrgreen: :wave:

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Why spend so much when a high performance air cooler is most likely going to be a better performer at lower price?

The only reason for me to get water cooling now is the noise AND the performance. I will make sure my water cooler is better than all high end air coolers, if not, why am I wasting my time and money with a half decent setup? :lol:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, those gigabyte coolers are junk. The Scythe Ninja is going for about $34 here in the US.

Or if you really want entry level watercooling, wait for an upcoming review.... :mrgreen:

17. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

So do you think I will be better off with one of these 'large' HSFs?
    I've got an opty 170 on order so am looking at cooling for that.:whistle:
    Noise isn't a factor as there are 6 fans spinning happily in my case! (It gets hot here 50deg c in summer):wall:

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's a really good heatsink.

But there are things you've got to weigh. First of all is your case big enough. I couldn't close the sidepanel on mine. Also, it is a heavy heatsink and damage may occur if you mishandle your case. But performance wise and the ease of installing it (once the bracket is in that is) is superb.

Also it's not too expensive over here.

The Scythe Ninja is about as good as Air Cooling will ever be. :mrgreen:

19. I agree. The people I asked in a local forums all told me the same thing. I only chose looks over performance since heat wasn't really a big issue with me. :whistle:

20. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Noctua NH-U9/NH-U12 should be good candidates too...I'll provide more info soon :wicked: