Multi-Monitor Tips & Tricks Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

If you have a multi-monitor system or are thinking about getting one, be sure to check this guide out! Find out how you can obtain the best experience from your multi-monitor setup!

[​IMG]

Link : Multi-Monitor Tips & Tricks Guide!

2. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

3rd tip is a bit useful but not realli practical..
    how to enjoy movie/gaming wif that ugly black border??

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

This is a very subjective matter :mrgreen:

I always watch widescreen movies like that, a lot bigger. :)

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, you can place the monitor back to back so that you only see one half of the black border instead of 2 halves... then sit further back... :mrgreen:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yeah I get what you mean, that's another way also.

I normally sit quite far from my monitors when I watch movies that way, so the black bar in the middle is not really an issue, especially when you are used to it already.

6. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

ya... i guess its subjective too..
    i tried doing the overlapping border thing, still, i cant stand that border.. =S

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

how can you miss out ultramon!!!?????
    if u want multimonitor display, ultramon is a must :mrgreen:

as for your MPC issue, use VRM9. you do not have to run two instances of MPC.

my preference is always one LCD, and one trinitron CRT. (well if u are rich, get 2 LCD and one CRT then!)
    compressed video (xvid/divx) and astro on my 2001fp is a real bummer..so I always throw all my videos to my secondary trinitron..smooth like a glass baby..smoothh like a glass... :mrgreen:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LOL! Of course I won't miss out Ultramon! How could I? I already planned to add it in the next update :mrgreen:

9. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I use an "extended" dual monitor set-up at work.
    I have a laptop with 15" screen side by side with a 17" TFT (at different resolutions).
    Perfect when having two applications in use at once.
    Typically either two of Firefox, MS Word, MS Excel, Adobe Reader, Novell Groupwise or Janux (our own "everything work related" software).

I plan to use a similar 2x17" TFT set-up at home, once I can afford it and/or it's on top of my computer hardware priority list.

I'm puzzled over the Media Player workaround (starting a second session). Anybody that knows how/why this work?

Cheers
    Olle

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I only know it has something to do with the acceleration overlays :think: when you open only one MPC, there is only one overlay which can only be 'used' by one of the screen. Perhaps opening up the second MPC creates another overlay, but I could be wrong. :shifty:

Maybe there are some video playback gurus who can explain this? xD

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

If you have a multi-monitor system or are thinking about getting one, be sure to check this guide out! Find out how you can obtain the best experience from your multi-monitor setup!

Here are the updates:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Multi-Monitor Tips & Tricks Guide Rev. 1.1!

12. DMichael

DMichael Newbie

You might explore/discuss using portrait mode. As a programmer, I prefer portrait orientation. It has been my observation that the NVidia drivers actually exhibit rendering defects in portrait, whereas ATI drivers generally render better. Unfortunately, both perform worse in portrait than landscape in my experience. Also, many video games simply do not accept portrait modes.

It has also been my experience that OpenGL supports multiple monitors better than DirectX.

If more attention is focused on multiple monitor usage (and on portrait mode), perhaps the video card manufacturers and driver authors will provide better support.

Here's my setup:

[​IMG]

13. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Nice multi-monitor setup you got there :thumb:

Hm... I will try out the portrait mode when I'm free. I actually attempted to run two monitors @ portrait in horizontal spanning mode, but I couldn't get it to work.

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The guide has just been updated! :wave:

Here is the update:-
    [​IMG]

Link : Multi-Monitor Tips & Tricks Guide Rev. 1.2!

15. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Too bad I can't use more that 2 displays on my notebook. That would be sweet as I can also make use of my 19" CRT. Heh. Perhaps I should consider a desktop PC sometime soon. :p

16. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Two points.

1. You write:
    I sort of agree, but only to some extent. Most documents and web pages are designed vertically, to that we add task and tool bars at the top and bottom of the screen.
    This results in the need to have a decent amount of screen height (around 1000 pixels, IMO) before expanding sideways.
    Would you rather have an array of 10" wide-screen monitors side by side on your desk than two regular 17" monitors?

2. About advantages with more screens, you miss redundancy.
    With more monitors you can continue working even if one get broken.

/Olle

17. also, for the spanned video, you can change the video renderer
    mpc > Tools > options > playback > output > directshow video > [one of the VMR's, depending on your vid card]

also, does anyone know if you can have 4 monitors on 2 geforce 8600gt in sli, they are pretty cheap nowadays. (50.00)

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You have to disable SLI to use 4 monitors.

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

ultramon is the best app ever written for mankind! :p

ultramon FTW!

20. thankyou, that is what i was looking for. :D wikipedia and google were running me around in circles.