Dude, Where Is Your WEP?

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I've recently started using a Pocket PC again, and one of the more interesting applications I found and installed on the Pocket PC was a WiFi scanner called WiFiFoFum.

Veteran Pocket PC or SmartPhone users would probably have this application installed on their WiFi-enabled devices right now. But if you have not tried it yet yet, I highly suggest you do.

However, I'm not writing this article to tell you about this cool application. Instead, I'll be showing you some interesting data I've gathered using this WiFi scanner. You'd probably also end up following my steps.

But first, let me set the premise of this little "experiment".

[​IMG]

Link : Dude, Where Is Your WEP?

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I did that while I was in Singapore :haha:
    Leeched somebody's wireless network...even got into the router config (also a Linksys) but didn't change any settings :haha:
    Quite astounding, from my bedroom I could pick up about 8-10 networks, half of which were unsecured.

3. ChampionLLY

ChampionLLY News Writer

yup, tons of routers are unsecured...
    sometimes my laptop connects to other networks without me even knowing it till i see the signal strength...

4. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Dude.. while you're going "Where's your WEP???", I'm going "Why are you still using WEP?!?!?!?!"

Abit the old news right....?

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

The fact that people are NOT even using anything is the whole point of the article la :D

In fact, the default password also never change! :faint:

6. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

WPA for the win :)

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

+2

:mrgreen:

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i only could pick up one at my house :shifty: opposite neighbours.. seems secure :shifty:

but last time i pickup the other neighbour .. insecure :p

10. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

You can screw around with them :p i actually logged on to an unsecured network router before.

No change in admin password and no change in ssid. All stock default, i just logged in and got out just to know i can do it :p

11. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Ummm, Ken, what I meant (implied) was, this topic has been quite overdone already :D

12. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

haha i get what you mean. Well, perhaps you want to write up an article on WEP2, LEAP and etc? ;)

13. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

If I had the time... sadly I'm dead busy these few months. I still owe ARP a follow-up to the intro to linux article, remember?

14. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

:shifty:

- The Straits Times, Dec 19, 2006

...You all saw nothing. :shifty:

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This is in Singapore, right? :mrgreen:

Singapore is really a "FINE" city. :haha: :haha: