My Thoughts On The Sony PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Dashken, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Late last year (on November 17, 2006), Sony finally got around to launching their long-awaited (and long-delayed) PlayStation 3. The launch prompted eager gamers to brave long nights in the bitter cold while standing in line. But the elements weren't the only concern to some others, there were plenty of mishaps as well.

However, there has been a recent wave of units hitting some stores lately. I happen to run across one such unit (a spanking new 60GB model) at our local Wal-Mart. That caught me offguard as I did not expect to see any in stock for the next few months.

[​IMG]

Link : My Thoughts On The Sony PlayStation 3

2. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Interesting comments about the HDD...
    I wonder what file system Sony use on it. :think: Just mounting a new drive might not do it unless it's been properly formatted first.

/Olle

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I'm sure the PS3 will know how to format the drive. :) Just like digital cameras formating brand new memory cards

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:mrgreen: olympus cant format a xD formatted by the pc :mrgreen:

maybe sony will use that "strategy"

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Ummm.... The PS3 has a format utility....:rolleyes: Olympus must really suck then coz I never heard of a camera that can't format a card (pretty dumb tbh).... :lol:

Manual Link Utility can format the media thats inserted into the PS3 as well... :D

The firmware isn't stored on the hard drive. So you can swap out the hard drive and still have all your setting intact.. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That's really dumb. :nuts:

BTW, if the PS3 uses EFI, it can actually be programmed to format a new hard drive and rapid-install the operating system within minutes. Kinda like what they do in cybercafes.

7. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

If I'm not mistaken, PS3 utilises a Linux based OS so therefore it's harddrive file format won't be far off from it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Firmware

In fact PS3 allows limited capabillity to install some distro's of Linux apparently

Howver the best way would be for someone to void the warranty and pull out the harddrive and try analysing it's file format on a PC. Testdisk 6.5 allows analysing of almost every file format for OS based systems

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

They were originally going to have a Linux OS on it but I guess they scrapped it to launch it. But there is the install OS option and yea, there has been some people who have Linux installed on it. :D LOL! In fact I was just reading a guide on how to get Ubuntu installed on it. :p

9. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

I'm thinking of trying to install Linux on to the PS3 HDD. But I haven't yet summoned the courage to do so. Haha.