ATI Radeon X1950 GT & Windows Vista - Not Friends Yet?

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Although it may seem impossible, ATI has apparently done just that. The new Radeon X1950 GT is being shipped without a working Vista driver, even though it's "certified for Windows Vista".

So, what does Vista certification mean? A working driver right now? Or merely a promise of future support?

[​IMG]

Link : ATI Radeon X1950 GT & Windows Vista - Not Friends Yet?

2. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Now this is risky and may cause me getting shot in the face by someone, but the term "certified" is quite tricky as it may mean it has temporary approval while the driver undergoes WHQL but yet unreleased which I believe in ATi/AMD's case, is because they want to delay Catalyst 7.2 abit to tweak it to accomodate the performance increase RV610/RV630/R600 would have

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The Catalyst 7.2 is totally unstable on my system (for both Vista and XP) and I have no idea why :wall:

In the end I had no choice but to use back Catalyst 7.1 :|

4. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

multilanguage or english version? That maybe an issue. And btw, Vista Certified means it would be able to basically run Vista. That's all.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, for OEM on notebooks and desktops.. all drivers must be signed and certified through WHQL before they can be sold. Is the 'certified' term different between a separate hardware and a whole system? :think:

But X1950GT can't even use the Catalyst 7.2. Hmm... :think:

Adrian, did you try redownload the Catalyst? :mrgreen:

6. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Not sold, but rather be able to installed. AFAIK WHQL for vista is more stringent to the point of no WHQL, no install. Compared to XP's WHQL, you could choose to ignore and proceed. So certified would possibly mean that it would be "stable" to run on Vista as among the promises was that Vista would be more stable then ever by enforcing stringent WHQL compliance.

NOTE: And I correct my statement about Aero Glass (thanks to bestia[ry] ). DX9 cards can run aero glass and in fact DX9 based cards will be able to run games better in Vista due to DX9L providing the games have been optimised bit cap wise

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

It's english version... but I don't think that's the issue here :think:

The CLI.exe just keeps on crashing non stop for no reason :|

8. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

CLI.exe eh? Wlecome to the buggy POS from ATi that's called Catalyst Control Centre which I never bothered to use. Uninstall everything and install the drivers only if possible. Then adjust properties using ATi Tray Tools.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_7.html

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I can't enable horizontal spanning mode with ATiTrayTools, which is why I did not use your method. If I could get away by using ATiTrayTools I had already done so.

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sorry for the late replies, guys. Been busy benchmarking. :haha:

Anyway, the driver totally wouldn't install. The installation routine refused to install the 7.2 driver when it detected the X1950 GT.

When I tried a manual install, Windows Vista wouldn't pick up on it. It refused to install the 7.2 driver.

So, right now, it's using the default SVGA driver, running at 800x600, if I'm not wrong... with absolutely no acceleration features enabled. Basically acting like a very expensive framebuffer card. :haha:

11. Adrian Wong

It's not the Catalyst driver being corrupted. The file was fine. It successfully extracted its contents and proceeded to install.

Even when I tried skipping the installation routine and use a manual install, Vista still wouldn't use the driver. Maybe I should hack the INF file to add the X1950 GT. :think:

However, even if I successfully install a hacked driver, it still does not proof that the X1950 GT is certified for Vista. Evidently, it is NOT yet certified for Vista.

Graphics card companies that promise Vista certification for the X1950 GT would be way too hasty in that respect. Even ATI don't have a working driver for the X1950 GT. How can they claim Vista certification without a working driver? Evidently, someone is lying... :mad:

I don't know who should be blamed for making such false claims, but I do know that I wouldn't be buying the X1950 GT if I'm using Vista right now. I would wait until ATI releases a Vista driver that works with the X1950 GT.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Did you try any of the older version of Catalyst? The 7.2 sucks really badly for dunno what reason :nuts:

13. Adrian Wong

Nope. Well, I tried the driver on the CD but it didn't work either.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Wow... I never know ATI drivers sucks so badly for X1950 GT... everything works just fine for my card, XP or Vista. Except for 7.2 of course :lol:

15. Adrian Wong

Actually, none of the drivers support the X1950 GT. It's not that it's buggy or anything.

Anyway... ATI just released the Rev. 7.3 driver! W00T! Finally! :beer:

16. Adrian Wong

Wow.. This really sucks. Just tried installing the 7.3 driver. Guess what error message I received this time. :wall:

Driver Install : the INF file was not found

This is absolutely terrible. And I thought NVIDIA's Vista drivers were not very good... at least they worked! :doh:

17. Adrian Wong

Okay, manually used Device Manager to load the driver. It picks it up.

Now, retrying the driver setup and it successfully installs the driver and the control center. :beer:

18. Adrian Wong

Oh, this is SUPERB... Right after it reboots, I get a BSOD at the login screen! :doh:

win32k.sys - Address 920D5186 base at 92000000

This is so, SO dumb! ATI driver engineers, WAKE UP!!!

19. D Miller

D Miller Newbie

The Frustration

I've been having the same issue with my dual 1950 GT crossfire setup. First under the 7.2 drivers I was getting the unrecoverable blue screen when going into Vista (couldn't reinstall or install the drivers from safe mode). I went ahead and reloaded Vista and used the 7.3 beta drivers. The issue that I'm having now is that CCC keeps crashing. It's a good thing I've held off on activating my copy. I'm about ready to throw XP on there to see if it fares better than Vista. And if it does, I will have to wait until ATI/AMD releases a stable driver, before putting Vista back on there.

20. Adrian Wong

Hey D Miller!

Just delete the ATI and ATI Technologies folder, and erase as many ATI-related entries in the registry as possible. Then uninstall Visual C++ redistributable.

Check this editorial out -> http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=393&pgno=0