ED#40 : ATI's Vista Killing Driver

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Recently, we wrote about how the ATI Radeon X1950 GT graphics card had managed to obtain Vista certification without a working driver. Well, the first working driver for the Radeon X1950 GT finally appeared on March 28, 2007. Time to pop the champagne, eh?

Well, not quite. Let us take you on an amazing journey with ATI's new Catalyst 7.3 driver set. Then tell us whether you think ATI software engineers should be given a raise for their superb efforts or shot like rabid dogs.

[​IMG]

Link : ED#40 : ATI's Vista Killing Driver

2. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Like back in the old days (FuryMAXX, anyone?) setting up
    a driver from ATi is still sort of mediocre adventuring.
    But there's nothing to be angry or disappointed about,
    hell, it's fun somehow, isn't it? :D ^^

3. OhSoCheesy

OhSoCheesy Newbie

Thanks for the heads up on this one. You have saved me pulling out my hair...er...wait I already did that. I guess you saved me going Postal! Thanks :beer:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! If you consider swapping out cards and restarting your system a thousand times fun! :haha: :beer:

Seriously, I pity the Radeon X1950 GT users. This is the ONLY driver they can use with Vista... and it doesn't even boot up properly. :roll:

5. Adrian Wong

Hey, no problem! :beer:

Do spread the word... or we will have a whole bunch of users reinstalling their Windows Vista. :mrgreen:

6. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Well, of course.
    One should consider it as a chance to get more experienced in both. :haha: ;) ^^

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

good job ati. great plan to make wang....

"We've got your money, now you may stab yourself"

they tricked you into buying their product with early announcement of industry's first VISTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CERTIFIED DRIVER...

once they get your money, they let you bleed and die.

ATI FTL!

8. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Looks like they've already learned their lessons AMD's teaching 'em ... :mrgreen: ^^

9. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. That's true. Well, after this incident, I can quickly swap out and install even the long X1950 GT card in the dark!!! :haha: :haha:

10. Adrian Wong

It may be certified for the other cards, but I don't think Microsoft should certify it for the X1950 GT.

Well, the driver works ALONE, but they don't offer a driver-only download. Most users will just install the whole driver package, including CCC and Visual C++.... and have loads of fun with the BSODs. :wall:

11. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Well here im an new VISTA user and i passed into all this... i checked alot of places for found an fix... and i was dropped here by google ROFL XD Sweet Home... but i have an problem.. im on vista and installing 8.3 Drivers and... it just wont uncheck Microsoft C++ 2005 Edition... what i do ? Bloddy HELL:twisted:

P.S: Still have my old X1900 GT XD

So i just download the display drivers without the CCC AND all the stuff?

Tryed only with the DD (display driver) and i have the culprit Visual C++ 2005

What i do :(