Graphics Card Repair Guide Part 2

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

In our first Graphics Card Repair Guide, you learned how to fix large components like capacitors and inductors. Today, Empire23 will teach you how to handle smaller SMD components.

If you want to learn how to repair your graphics card at home, be sure to check this guide out.

[​IMG]

Link : Graphics Card Repair Guide Part 2

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Cool repair guide! :thumb:

Actually, where can I buy that cool soldering station? I can select the temperature like easy! :D

3. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

^Try the place near Ambank in Jalan Pasar

They are the distributor for Hakko and Proskit products in Malaysia. And yeah, the soldering station i'm using, the FX951 is seriously nice to use, and a pleasure to look at. The only thing i recommend is that you save up for extra tips and the tip holder. Plus the base stand is extremely sturdy and well built. All in all, i'm loving it so far!

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Graphics Card Repair Guide Part 2 Rev. 2.0

In our first Graphics Card Repair Guide, you learned how to fix large components like capacitors and inductors. Today, Empire23 will teach you how to handle smaller SMD components.

If you want to learn how to repair your graphics card at home, be sure to check this guide out.

Here's a quote from the guide :-
    [​IMG]

Link : Graphics Card Repair Guide Part 2 Rev. 2.0

5. Arch-angel

Arch-angel Newbie

Hi Dashken!

I've seen the new article about the graphics card repair and I liked it a lot!! But I have a question...
    I own a inno3D/NVidia GeForce FX 5700 that is not working anymore. That happened because (I think) the cooler "slip out" of one of the pins, heating the card. But, after read your article, I went to check it out if the problem was capacitor or indutors and I've found a part that seems to me the problem. It's the U25 piece, that I don't know what it is. Can you help me fixing it?

Thanks a lot!

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The article was written by Empire23 actually. But no worries. He will reply soon enough. ;)

7. Arch-angel

Arch-angel Newbie

Ops... Sorry about that, Adrian and Empire23!
    I'm sending the pics of my card... it's from my cell phone because I'm without any cams here. ;)

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

8. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

what's the white glob on top of it? I'll assume it has been chipped. In that case you'll have to show me or tell me the letters (like a designation eg; OPA2107BP) on the top before i can give a recommendation as a replacement. If you can't read it because it's been chipped off, just replace the letters you cant read with a *, so i can try and guess.

9. Arch-angel

Arch-angel Newbie

I think it had written on top (I'm guessing because I can see it on the identical piece beside, on the U25 slot): 4880M 410373.
    On the chipped piece I can't read anything. The glob is there because looks like the letters have melted.

Thanks a lot, Empire23!!

10. Arch-angel

Arch-angel Newbie

So... did you know what component it is?

11. Senital

Senital Newbie

Hey! im new to this place and i saw your guide to card repairs, i was wondering if you/ANYONE could HELP ME! i cant sleep as you see, its quater past 1am ish over here,

i have a Gainward Bliss 7800Gs+ Agp graphics card, aka the best agp card in the World! i cried when i got myself into this situation, which is understandable as its Such a Beautifull Card! Ok the problem:

The golden connecting pins what go into the motherboard, well one of them (the very last one) is burnt out, the card is dead because of that. it was working before.

Someone Please PLEASE tell me that it can be repaired. Any help would be Much appreciated! THanks.

Sen

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  12. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. How do you know it's burnt out? Any pictures? :think:

13. Senital

Senital Newbie

hey, yeah i just managed a shot using my webcam as i dont have a digital camera :( sorry for the quality of t but i guess thats the best it can do, also i know its burnt because Gainward were kind enough to place that little arrow sticker pointing to it (and another on the font saying 'look back, burnt') im :pray: :pray: :pray: its recoverable

[​IMG]

btw, a friend of mine told me to use a rubber lightly to get rid of the black, i was reluctant but ive just done that now (After i took that pic ^) it looks less sirious now i must say, but i doubt it will work by just doing that, only way to know for sure is to try)..

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  14. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. It really looks burnt. :(

Could be due to the motherboard. Are you sure the motherboard is still in working condition?

15. Senital

Senital Newbie

i just tried the card now, after using the rubber and getting ridd of that black, and the card Does work, :D which is a good sign ofcourse BUT and this is a Mega BUT, its got some problems, i remember having these now, just before the card stopped working (that was a Loong time ago now and i had forgotten them during my attempts to get it even to start up.)

i was overclocking it using Rivatuner, and the computer crashed (understandable as this is a sign its been clocked too high.) after it developed some mental problem,

its hard to explain, but ill get a screenshot if i can,
    basically when it goes in the screen's dotted completely with short lines all over it, i try and install the driver (it usually does after you insrt a new piece of hardware in your pc) and the computer crashes.

I remember now, once i got it to install and i got into rivatuner and reset the clocks back to default (i think it did but cant be 100% sure as system crashed again just on the restart, and i could'nt get any further then what i did that time.)

now the cards sort of stuk in this phase and i dont know how/what to do to get it Running Normal again! (once again i am woried beyond belif that it will not be repairable :faint: :cry: )

notes: i think the crashing is to do with something else as even before i was overclocking it - it would crash my pc occasionally, i think it was to do with overheating but i sorted that with a thermaltake bigwater 745 liquid cooling system :D HOWEVER it still seemd to crash every now and then. My gut feeling is the motherboard had problems with it, i will soon buy an Asus p4c800-e Deluxe mobo and hope that should sort this problem out for sure, that is Assuming the card can now be made fully functional :doh: :(

16. Adrian Wong

Okay, dotted lines? That sounds like problem with the graphics memory. Usually happens when you clock it too high.

Try using it without overclocking. Uninstall Rivatuner if you have to.

17. Senital

Senital Newbie

i did un-install rivatuner, i even re-installed windows and everything fresh and still it came up with the dotty lines all over the screen, cant seem to get out of the situation, even if i managed to install the driver i get blue screen saying 'mode not supported' which is obviously because f the 26" screen im using then i crash again, but i cant even get that far. ill get a pic up now if anyone thinks that will help..

18. Adrian Wong

Check the graphics card cooler. Is it attached properly?

Otherwise, I really think it's the graphics memory at fault.

19. Senital

Senital Newbie

ok im pretty sure the coolers on fine. So i guess its like you said its a memory fault, is there any way arround that?
    like is there a way to reset the card back to defaults or something?

Thanks 4 your help :)

20. Adrian Wong

Ahh... If you are NOT overclocking it and you still get the problem, well, you can always try UNDERclocking it. Try the memory clock first, and failing that, the GPU clock.

But if that doesn't work, then I really think you cannot repair short of replacing the failed memory chips.