PDA Vs. Paper : Fight!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

It has been a long, hard-fought battle between PDAs and paper organizers but now the writing is on the wall - PDAs are going the way of the dinosaurs. However, this does not necessarily mean a victory for old-fashioned paper.

The PDA's demise is merely due to the emergence of a superior new "species" - the PDA phone. Combining the best features of the PDA with those of a mobile phone, the PDA phone is successor to the battle between digital and paper organizers.

Who will win this fight? Read on and find out!

Here's a quote from the article :-
    [​IMG]

Link : PDA Vs. Paper : Fight!

2. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That's the article I wish/want to read for a long long time! :thumb:

Personally, if I have lotsa dough in my pockets, and also not a clumsy person, that PDA is my 1st choice.

And there's the great Alas, I don't have such a money since I'm a college student, and all I need is only pen, Post-it notes, a small 555 notepad and it still serves the purpose. And also, my brain is *still* the important tool for remembering some of the stuff incase I got my notepad lost. Even cheap Canon organizers will do - those RM25 ones.

Nevertheless, the PDA is a few thousand more times convenient. You can stuff any piece of information at one go everywhere. Writing? Easy, you write on top of it and it spells out for you. Ah, never mind the thick dictionary - you can install a small dictionary program and let it do the searching for you.:whistle: What else? There are tons of stuff you can do on a PDA. Listen music? Read newspaper? All inside there! Requirements? That you might need to fork a lot of money for this!

But there is some limitations, like you said, Dashky, the thing is not really waterproof, and dropping it into the toilet or in the swimming pool will render the PDA useless immediately. Sit on it? An absolute no-no. And worse, if those troublemakers decided to make EMP bomb, (well, not sure whether it exists or not!) those pulses actually might frizzle any kind of electronics without even trying! Well, paper is still immune because they are made out of fibers, not doped semiconductors!

The writing part is still in debate - some purists will say that you are more likely to keep in touch in your very own writing than the plain printed text.

Long time ago, PDAs used to be those little Casio/Canon computers ( I have the 32 KB one, and runs on 3 CR2032 batteries! ) where you store your friends/housemates/family addresses, email and the phone number. Reminders and calendars are there too. All sort of vital stuff are there. But nowadays, with the existance of modern handphones, these diaries are now displaced as handphones can remind, alert and keep contacts. :haha:

Just my humble opinion. Basically - I'll summarize - both of them are good.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yo... this article is by Marc. I only posted it. :haha:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

PDA phone is the way. :p

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I'm still waiting for the foldable PDA-communicator seen in Earth : Final Conflict! :thumb:

6. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Yes, EMP Bombs do exist. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    I think they used it in the recent war against Saddam. Saw it on Discovery, IIANM.

I remember owning one of those electronic Canon organizers too! All I can say is they were not much good as you need to scroll like mad to get the data you want. :haha:

U mean the product? There already is one. The O2 XDA Exec a.k.a HTC Universal a.k.a Dopod 900. Already a discontinued model, though. The replacement is the Dopod U1000 which is think is more akin to a laptop.
    :D

7. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

I used to own a Casio EM500, but I'm still a pen and paper person :wall: :wall: :wall:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I love to have a mini-book sized electronic diary which looks like the one the VIA shown in the websites. The small thing can load up Windows, and even can play Half-Life classic. Well, hope the thing actually exist in much lower prices. :mrgreen:

9. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Hehe. Nice. One of the pioneer PDAs using the Pocket PC OS. I wonder what happened to Casio already. :mrgreen:
    Whoa. This one is full-fledged computer already man. :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, Casio dropped out I think. I myself started off with the Cassiopeia. :thumb:

11. evilizlan

evilizlan Newbie

ive used xda2 after i had a faulty charger jack on my xplore.. now, d xplore hv rest in slumber somewhere in my hifi rack n xda2 hv been sold... optd 4 a homebrew pda program, dloaded fr 1 of many sites on my psp... but guess wut? fr d start til now, i always use d pen 2 paper or pen 2 hand method rather than those things... do i had a damaged brain n evrytime i wantd 2 take notes, i forgot bout those gadgets? :think: maybe...