The AMD NDA Scandal

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Just two weeks ago, we reported that a Thai journalist walked out of the hush-hush (AMD event in Singapore over a controversial NDA that required him to "send any stories to the vendor before his newspaper can publish it".

AMD categorically denied it happened, but today, we not only have proof that it happened, we also have the sordid details of the entire affair.

Here's a quote from the editorial :
    [​IMG]

Link : The AMD NDA Scandal

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. teldar

teldar Newbie

On Day 2 though, they were presented with another NDA to sign before a factory visit. This one stipulated that "any confidential information from this visit would need written approval from corporate communications before it could be used". I don't know about you, but that clause sounds exactly like the clause in the first NDA. The PR person even had the temerity to say that it was "just paperwork and that everyone, be it a president or prime minister, had to sign this document". That was when Don walked out.

I personally don't think that's too bad. They were offering to take people through their factory which contains tons of highly guarded secrets and people are getting bent out of shape about being asked to sign an NDA saying they would have to submit stories about private correspondence? I'd want the same thing if I were AMD. The story doesn't make it sound like it's about processors, it makes it sound like the NDA was about the fab.

T

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You see, the issue here is not really the NDA it self. Press members expect to sign some sort of disclosure. The problem stems not from that fact, but the fact that AMD wants to 'filter' out articles. This is a slippery slope. NDAs are NDAs. We respect that. But having them filter through our work (i.e: refusing unfavorable articles), now that is a no no. It's all about safe guarding our journalism. We have our ethics (abiding by NDAs is one of them).

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, from what I gather, it was either phrased to cover the entire event. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been a reason for even the Australian journalists to make noise about it, or for Don to walk away.

Personally, my biggest problem is the fact that they had to sign an NDA that specifically requires them to have their articles vetted before they are legally allowed to be published. That's a BIG no-no in my book.

I would understand if AMD might want to have an early look and maybe get in their side of any negative story. But to insist on prior approval on their part, that's a really gutsy move.

5. jdickey

jdickey Newbie

Hmmm... let's see, so would "Steps to Successful Product Launch" as written by AMD go something like:
    1. Assume everybody you tell is going to lie about you;
    2. Lie about your assumptions
    3. Apologize for your lie, but only to 'preferred' ("tier-1") victims.

When are people going to figure out that "a little bit dishonest" or "a little bit coerced" is closer to "a little bit pregnant" - in other words, relative degrees are pointlessly ludicrous?

I know the "in" thing among corporations this decade seems to be "how can we make people jump through smaller, higher flaming hoops than we did last time, and pay us for the privilege?" -- but isn't it about time that everyone concerned realize that corporations exist as such by the express permission of people and/or nation-states, rather than the other way around? These journalists were, after all, essentially being asked to do AMD a favor - write glowingly about their Great New Product - and, even though the expenses were being paid by AMD, that does not turn their relationship into a work-for-hire situation. Worse, as we are seeing, rather than write glowing reviews that are trusted by the readers, these writers are letting it be known that there is a rather large thumb on the grocer's scale. Thus, regardless of the actual merits of the product in question. it will take the industry some time to trust positive reviews with detailed information (presumably coming from signatories of the NDA), and considerably less time to believe negative reviews (obviously, apparently, unapproved by the marketing honchos). In other words, AMD have once again found a way to give themselves the gift that keeps on taking. I'd be rather surprised, on general principle, if any of the systems I or my company buy in the short to medium term come with the quad-core Opterons. Too bad, really.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

AMD is not the only company to use NDAs and priviledged information to keep writers in line. If you don't write good things about us, you can forget about being invited to the next event, and so on. That's practised by many companies one way or another, either directly or indirectly. But AMD did go way too far on this one.

Everyone understands why they need to sign an NDA. We sign NDAs too. But to ask journalists to submit their work for prior approval before printing, now that's far out. I really wonder if their PR people ever had training... :nuts: