Omega Radeon Driver Comparison!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by News Writer, Nov 4, 2004.

1. News Writer

News Writer News Writer

If you own an ATI Radeon graphics card, chances are you would have heard of the Omega drivers. While most people choose to use the official ATI Catalyst drivers, the Omega drivers were developed for users who are a bit more adventurous and are looking to squeeze the best performance out of their graphics cards.

So, do these Omega drivers really make a difference? Let's find out!

[​IMG]

Link : Omega Radeon Driver Comparison!

2. Rolphus

Rolphus Newbie

Error in article?

One small correction to the article... as far as I'm aware, CS: Source (and anything else that runs in the Source engine, such as HL2) isn't an OpenGL renderer. It's a DX9/8/7 engine with support for PS2, PS1.4, PS1.1, and fixed-function shading. As far as I can ascertain from playing the game and looking around the documentation (such as it exists), there's no OpenGL path yet.

I suspect that the minor improvements seen by the "special CS OpenGL driver" are actually within the bounds of usual statistical error.

Hope that helps,

Rolphus

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Hi Rolphus. Yes, I just got a message from someone else about that and we'll be correcting that in the article shortly. My mistake, I should have realised that a lot sooner. :oops:

4. News Writer

News Writer News Writer

The article has just been updated! :wave:

If you own an ATI Radeon graphics card, chances are you would have heard of the Omega drivers. While most people choose to use the official ATI Catalyst drivers, the Omega drivers were developed for users who are a bit more adventurous and are looking to squeeze the best performance out of their graphics cards.

So, do these Omega drivers really make a difference? Let's find out!

Here's the update:-
    • Updated the comparison to remove results of the Special OpenGL mode.

[​IMG]

Link : Omega Radeon Driver Comparison Rev. 1.1!

5. djsatane

djsatane Newbie

Too bad you didn't mention the fact that 4.10 drivers crash systems running games with Punk Buster enabled. Whether this is caused by ATI new AI interfering with PB or PB having its own problems is another story. Fact is 4.10 crash when playing online with PB enabled game such as Q3A or RTCW, or COD.

This is a big issue and in case you don't believe me or havent heard anyone talk about it please visit rage3d forums, there have been rain of posts on that topic. Hopefully ATI fixes this problem.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is interesting. I wonder if the same thing happens on Omega drivers.

7. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

Good article, Papercut :thumb:

hope to see more of the same ;)

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I hadn't heard anything about this; will go check it out shortly. Thanks for your feedback :)

Update: Found the thread on Rage3D forums: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33784027

And here's a report from the Inquirer about it: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19501

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  9. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Does this comparison deal with Catalyst 4.10 and whatever the lastest Omegas are?