The Definitive Maxtor Silent Store Guide Rev. 2.0

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Jan 5, 2003.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

"In an effort to reduce noise, Maxtor have been implementing their Silent Store technology for several years now. While Silent Store reduces the acoustic profile of Maxtor hard disks, it also slows them down!

The Definitive Maxtor Silent Store Guide Rev. 2.0 dissects this obscure Maxtor technology and reveals what it actually does. It will also show you how to reverse it! Check it out now and restore your hard disk's performance!"

Click here for the guide!

Please feel free to comment on the guide or post your questions here!

2. rutabagamon

rutabagamon Newbie

Maxtor quiet drive settings

I had similar results from turning the quiet mode off on my Maxtor L060j3 drive. I got approx 20% improvement in performance, as reported by Sisoft Sandra. And real-world performance seems similar, especially on a moderately fragmented drive where it has to seek more. (although admittedly this is much less objective) It was somewhat of a pain though, since the AMSET utility required me to disconnect the drive from the Promise PCI controller it's currently on and connect it directly to the motherboard IDE controller.
    The noise isn't even noticeable over the sound of the extra fans I have installed.
    ru

3. Petedwitt

Petedwitt Newbie

Why?

Hi,
    My Maxtor 6YO80LO has an Access Time of 14,7 Milliseconds even after turning off Acoustic Management or setting it to /fast.HD Tach says:Read Speed-maximum 50973.0 kps,minimum 29327.0 kps,average 42127.1kps.Random Access Time 14,7 Milliseconds.Whats wrong here that my HD has such a bad access time?.Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks,
    PETE
    :?:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe you should try re-running the HDTach. I need re-run it 3 times to get consistent results.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello Petedwitt,

First of all, did AMSET specifically say it supports your hard disk when you ran it? The problem with AMSET is that Maxtor only states that it supports certain hard disk families. Other hard disk families are almost sure to be using Silent Store as well but whether they can be configured is another matter altogether.

Try running AMSET without any commands. See what's the state of the acoustic management. See if it actually does anything. It's possible that your hard disk may not support any switching of the acoustic management mode (although I cannot confirm this). In that case, your hard disk will still be using the Quiet mode even if you have turned it off or to Fast mode.

If AMSET supports your hard disk, perhaps you should try retesting it with WinBench 99 version 2.0.

6. Petedwitt

Petedwitt Newbie

Maxtor?

Hi,
    Yes,my Harddrive supports it,changed couple of times the settings and it showed each time the right setting which i adjusted,ran HD Tach a couple of times also and it reads 14,3 to 14,9 Access Time,the same in SoftSandra.Harddrive has no faults,I have run the Maxtor Drive test and other Software.Is there maybe a setting in WinXP to adjust something?.Thanks for the help.

PETE

7. Adrian Wong

Hmm... Then I recommend you try WinBench 99 Version 2.0. Chai just ran some benchmarks. I think HDTach's a bit off. I'm going to be updating the guide with WinBench 99 results. It's more accurate.

8. ichpen

ichpen Newbie

Other tools

Thought I'd jump in here.

Please bear in mind that there are other tools that can regulate Accoustic Management successfully.

I've successfully switched off AAM on my Maxtor Drives using any of the IBM Drive Fitness Tools or IBM Management tools.

The bonus is that they will treat your RAID card as a IDE controller so you won't have to unplug all your drives.

I have successfully changed AAM on 3 Maxtor drives (a DM8+ and 2 DM+ 60) using the IBM tools. Also [IBM tools] drive diagnostics tend to be a lot quicker than the Maxtor equivalent (on Maxtor drives).

9. phsstpok

phsstpok Newbie

I first learned about Acoustic Managerment two years ago while I was trying to discover why my D540X was performing so poorly. I wasn't pleased to learn that Quiet Mode was enabled by default.

A year later (one year ago) I picked up a DiamondMax Plus 40 GB (the one without fluid bearings). First thing I did was check the AM status. That drive had AM disabled by default.

I'm disappointed that Maxtor once again is shipping the drives with AM ( SilentStore) set to Quiet Mode.

10. Adrian Wong

Hello ichpen,

When I first wrote the guide, I think Maxtor's AMSET was the only one that could do it. I might be wrong though. When did you start using the IBM tools?

BTW, they sound a lot smarter than Maxtor's AMSET! :D

Hello phsstpok,

Hmm... I had a DiamondMax Plus 40 too. I had AM enabled. And when our team basically runs on Maxtor drives. And all of them had AM enabled out of the box. They should really ship the drives with AM disabled and post the utility more prominently on their website.

11. ichpen

ichpen Newbie

To answer your question I've been using IBM Drive Tools for over a year now. I've been able to set AM mode on all IBM and Maxtor drives using these tools. They are IMHO considerably more robust and efficient than anything Maxtor has come up with. It's only a shame I can't say the same for IBMs drives. As I mention above the tools will treat your raid card as a regular IDE controller, they can also be used to switch off SMART mode on the drives (assuming the BIOS doesn't switch it back on again). The diagnostics section is also more comprehensive and informative. The only restriction the IBM tools have is that you cannot perform a low-level format on a non-IBM drive. This is a shame because a low-level format on a 30gig IBM drive takes around 10 minutes whereas a low-level format using the Maxtor tools on a 30 gig drive takes 4 hours on my machine.

FYI, all of my Maxtor drives have had AM enabled out of the box (OEM packages). The DM+ 60 drive was set dead in the middle between quiet and fast. The DM+ 8 drive was set at one notch below fastest settings.

12. Tangoted

Tangoted Newbie

Adrain, There is another utility that Gateway has called GWSCAN (free) that is good for checking HD's and writing all zero's to the HD. It does take a few hours, but really does a great job of cleaning a HD. http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?strSearch=gwscan

I have 3 Maxtor drives, a 60GB, an 80GB, and the new 120 GB DiamondMax Plus 9. All three HD's say 9ms seek time. I will try checking these, and report back. I was totally unaware about this sneaky feature. As with the rest of you, I bought these new ATA133 drives for speed, not quiet. Really appreciate the heads up. I just installed the 60GB ATA133 as Prime, and the 120GB ATA133 Plus 9 as secondary. Will see what happens.

ichpen, would you be so kind as to provide a name and link for the IBM utilities you are using so I can download and try. I looked through IBM's site, but not sure what to use for the ide maxtor drive's I have. Thanks

13. chucko

chucko Newbie

another way to change AM status

If you happen to be running a MB with an Intel 8xx series chipset (most models) you can use the Intel Application Accelerator to display and/or change the status of AM. You can find the Intel Application Accelerator here:
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/

14. merboy

merboy Newbie

Seagate ST340016A HD / Accoustic Management

OK so i downloaded the utility to handle my Maxtor drive, but now I want to turn off the acoustic management that SiSoftware Sandra is reporting is also running on my Seagate drive......i have not been able to find ANY reference to this tech. on the seagate site....anyone have any information? Do the IBM tools work for other drives? I haven't found the ibm toolset either. CAN YOU TURN OFF AAM ON SEAGATE DRIVES????

any help you could render would be greatly appreciated!!

:thumb: <proceeding to speed up my maxtor drive! yay>

15. merboy

merboy Newbie

Re: Seagate ST340016A HD / Accoustic Management

OK, so i called SEAGATE support and according to Seagate they are being sued by someone claiming that they own the rights to the acoustic management "tool" or method that seagate was using in what they call their "ACCM" (their accoustic management software), and as such they have removed it from their site and really don't offer ANYTHING for any customer who has a drive (like my barracude IV that shipped with AAM on by default)....I asked about Maxtor having a tool and seagate's response was "well they paid to license the tech"......so i guess i need to know if i can use the IBM tools still....or find the ACCM (seagate software) floating on the net.

anyone?

16. Adrian Wong

Hello merboy,

Although Maxtor came up with the name 'Silent Store', I believe most hard disk manufacturers are using the same technology.

You can try using the Maxtor or IBM tools. They should work with Seagate drives.

17. merboy

merboy Newbie

maxtor / seagate drives AAM help

hey man thanks for your reply! When I ran the Maxtor tool it scanned all the IDE channels and it realizes that there is a maxtor drive, and then non-maxtor drives and won't action the non maxtor ones....I've heard (read) that the IBM tool can work with many drives but I don't have the IBM tools and I haven't been able to find it. Do you know where I can get it?or have it?

thanks!

18. merboy

merboy Newbie

Re: maxtor / seagate drives AAM help

I GOT IT!!! FOUDN THE SOLUTION!!!

I used the Hitachi tools to access my drives and changed the acoustic management on my Seagate drive. Seems this software scans the bus/ide channels and pulls up all your drives and can access many of the features on-board your HD. WOrked like a dream. The file is called ftool_ver194.exe, available from: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

excerpt from the page about the softwares capabilities:

The Feature Tool allows you to:

Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.
    Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
    Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
    Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).
    Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be used in situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the drive is not recognized.
    Switch the Ultra DMA mode
    Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between the lowest power consumption and the highest power consumption (maximum performance level).
    Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit.

wurk!

19. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

cool!!!!!.........hitachi is ibm.....hitachi bought over ibm........i read dat ibm tools can be use on other company's hard disk............ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

20. Welch

Welch Newbie

NEW but paying attention ;)

OK, i have been reading everything that you guys have said, not sure you all are still posting on this but if you are i need help! I found this forum by the guy who posted about his Maxtor Diamond max 9 6Y080L0, I too have this hdd and noticed a few problems. When i load my win XP home it would have about 40 seconds of apps not coming up but acting like it would if i normally clicked them. Then suddenly all of the programs i had click on would come up at once! I run Adware SE about everyday, Diskeeper Pro 8.0, Ace utilites, and a few others. Its not fragmentation, spyware, or junk files, i only have 13% of my 80 gig drive! I figured it was Seek time! But couldnt lay my finger on it! I have ran windows XP for 8-9 months, wihout a reinstall. I know too many people who say you should reinstall every 2 months :nuts: im just losing it becuase of whats going on and the fact that i cant get my seek time down from 13.5 ms
    Is it possible to get it to at least 11 or 10ms?

My machine is as follows (I built it)

MSI K7N2-Delta(mobo) AMD XP 2600+(Everest says its a Barton core)
    Maxtor DiamondMax9 6Y080L0 IDE ATA/133 (also Everest knowledge)
    512mb ram pc2700 is what i bought (Everest is sure its 3200 I HOPE :p)
    MSI Nvidia Geforce 5600 FX XT 128

And after all of that TOTALLY updated DirectX and Updated video drivers, i only get an average of 30 fps in Call of Duty! :naughty: this should not happen!!!!!!!!

ANYONE please i need some help with this :(