Seagate Momentus 7200.2 Notebook Hard Drive Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 28, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Notebook users have always been saddled with slow hard drives, all in the name of battery conservation. Even expensive, performance-grade notebook hard drives that spin at 7200 RPM cannot even come close to the performance of cheap desktop hard drives. That may change with the new Seagate Momentus 7200.2 hard drive.

This hard drive boasts 60% greater capacity and 28.8% better sustained transfer rate than its predecessor. But that's not all. It even comes with an integrated free-fall sensor that greatly increases its survivability during accidental falls. Talk about combining performance with robustness.

[​IMG]

Link : Seagate Momentus 7200.2 Notebook Hard Drive Pictorial Review

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

it'd be interesting to see if the tilt motion sensor can be directly accessed to use as a motion-sensed alarm or not :D

3. mkensinger

mkensinger Newbie

Just finishing up the installation of a 7200.1 100Gig drive

and I have to say that even though it's 28% slower than this newer model, I LOVE the increased performance it has brought to my daughter's Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop.

With the new drive, the boot-up times are in line with that of my desktops...quite a marked change from the 5400 RPM drive that came with the unit...well worth the $95.00 price that I got it for.

Just my two cents worth for anyone who was curious as to what an improvement these drives can make...

All My Best

Michael

:D

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

:thumb: You just have to love these new drives. You should see how happy I was when I moved to a 5400RPM drive from a 4800RPM one. Man.... Everything just felt so much faster :D

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

We have just upgraded the review to comprehensive review. :wave:

Notebook users have always been saddled with slow hard drives, all in the name of battery conservation. Even expensive, performance-grade notebook hard drives that spin at 7200 RPM cannot even come close to the performance of cheap desktop hard drives. That may change with the new Seagate Momentus 7200.2 hard drive.

This hard drive boasts 60% greater capacity and 28.8% better sustained transfer rate than its predecessor. But that's not all. It even comes with an integrated free-fall sensor that greatly increases its survivability during accidental falls. Talk about combining performance with robustness.

[​IMG]

Link : Seagate Momentus 7200.2 Notebook Hard Drive Review

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup, 7200 RPM notebook drives are really worth it. Plus, they don't really take up that much power. IMHO, performance-grade notebooks should have 7200 RPM hard drives as a minimum.

7. keelec

keelec Newbie

Compare Momentus 7200.2 to Toshiba MK5024GAY?

I thought it was an interesting article.

However, I'd have added some notes on the Toshiba MK5024GAY with a 16MB buffer (which is rarely seen).

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Unfortunately, it's very hard to get hold of Toshiba hard drives. We will give it another try and see if we can get hold of that drive.