ED#55 : Details On Windows XP Service Pack 3 Leaked!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

As Microsoft winds down sales of Windows XP by January 2008, they will bid goodbye with a service pack to end all service packs. A sayorana service pack. That is exactly what the Windows XP Service Pack 3 is all about.

The Technical Beta is almost over, and Microsoft is getting ready to release the second build, which will be a public beta test. Join us as we examine the secret details of the Windows XP Service Pack 3 programme.

Here's a quote from the editorial :-
    [​IMG]

Link : ED#55 : Details On Windows XP Service Pack 3 Leaked!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmmm. I find it interesting that the beta SP3 update is incompatible with IE7 and WMP10.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, and they won't be able to solve it in time for the public beta. Do watch out for WGA though. It's installed by default, AFAIK.

4. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

coz they wanna push the sales on vista? :thumb:

5. Adrian Wong

Nah, they will eventually include them in the final SP3. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm sure they want MORE people to buy Vista, but I think they acknowledge that there are many people, especially companies who have invested a lot of money and time in Windows XP and will not upgrade to Vista for sometime to come.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The thing is IE7 and WMP11 works fine on SP2. Unlikely they will make it 'incompatible' again.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well they will continue support for a 2-3 years then boom. No more.

8. Adrian Wong

Not necessarily - http://forums.techarp.com/showthread.php?p=314017#post314017

In any case, it's a sayonara service pack. A service pack to end all service packs. You can upgrade directly to SP3 from any version of Windows XP just by running that single service pack, instead of downloading, installing and restarting several times. That will make it convenient for those who intend to continue using Windows XP for the next few years.

9. Adrian Wong

Well, SP3 will be the biggest support patch in the foreseeable future. Thereafter, I think Microsoft is committed to security updates (at least) for Windows XP until 2014.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

SP3 has not even passed beta stage yet.

11. Adrian Wong

Yup, but that's Microsoft's plan for the final SP3.