ED#02 : SoundStorm In A Cup

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Mar 13, 2003.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

"Confused about NVIDIA's SoundStorm initiative? We clear it all up once and for all in our SoundStorm In A Cup editorial!"

Read the full editorial here!

Please post you view and comments here.

2. otiose

otiose Newbie

u say tat soundstorm is for nforce2 .... but wat about nforce1 .. i have a nforce nsi mobo ... can it use soundstorm ..?

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

hehe. overall the bass is not as nice as my Sound Blaster Live DE 5.1. in fact it sounds almost the same.

1 thing i like about it is that i don't have to install additional drivers.

1 thing i don't like about it is that i now don't have a gameport, so looks like my SB Live DE 5.1 still has to go back there.

i think i'll probably end up using the SB Live DE 5.1 since it sounds almost the same to my ears and i get the game port.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello otiose,

No. Although the APU used in the nForce2's MCP-T is same as the APU used in the original nForce, NVIDIA's strict requirements state that SoundStorm-capable boards must use the nForce2's MCP-T platform processor.

In addition, the motherboard <u>must</u> come with SoundStorm capability built-in. There's no provision for SoundStorm capability to be added on later. So, you won't find any upgrade cards offering SoundStorm support for nForce2 motherboards.

Hope that answers your question! :)

5. otiose

otiose Newbie

so .. since i am using nforce not nforce2 ... wat kind of add-on card for cnr riser can i use instead of soundstorm ... ?

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Buy a sound card like SB Audigy2, Hercules Fortissimo 2 or others. :)

7. pippi

pippi Newbie

Frankly, I haven't heard about ANY decent CNR sound card. I'm afraid you may be forced to sacrifice one of PCI slots...

8. drab

drab Newbie

Plug in yer panasonic 4x400w amp and let it rip :twisted:

9. Chai

You still need a good sound card to fully utilise good speakers :) And vice versa.

10. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

you have all the rights to laugh at a friend who's using a cheapo speaker on any SB Live and/or better soundcard.

however speakers are more important cos they still can make a cheapo soundcard look(sound) good.

11. drab

drab Newbie

bit of tweaking with the equalizer,shake the snow of the roof :twisted:

12. html_freak

html_freak Newbie

confused...

So, what you're saying is that "soundstorm" is not like an add-in card like it's shown in the editorial? If that's the case, how many audio outs are there total for the left/right/left back/etc.??? :shock:

13. Chai

Re: confused...

It's written in the editorial. :)

14. html_freak

html_freak Newbie

ok, thanks :D

15. das7282

das7282 Newbie

So does anyone know why the A7N8X was dropped from the list?

16. Chai

Edit: Made a big mistake! :oops:

17. Jasonpel

Jasonpel Newbie

In the review, it says: "Please note that NVIDIA initially reported the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard to be SoundStorm-certified but apparently, they have been dropped from the list." while the contridicting statement said by Nvidia "Currently, there are only three tested and certified products that meet the SoundStorm / Dolby certification criteria"

Only three were tested.

18. Adrian Wong

Hello das7282 and Jasonpel,

I wrote that the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe was dropped from the list because the A7N8X Deluxe was initially on NVIDIA's certified list. In NVIDIA's latest press release on SoundStorm certification, the A7N8X Deluxe was glaringly absent from the list.

I do not know why NVIDIA dropped the A7N8X Deluxe from the list but it could be due to NVIDIA and Dolby tightening the certification process. The A7N8X Deluxe may have not been retested in time to make it to the press release.

NVIDIA and Dolby are still testing a bunch of other products. They have not been given certification yet. That's why only THREE products so far have been proclaimed SoundStorm-certified.

Edit :

NVIDIA's statement is not contradicting my statement. What NVIDIA meant is that only three products have been tested and passed the certification criteria. The other products are still being tested or have been tested but not passed the certification criteria.

I was made privy to an earlier list in which the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe was one of the only three products to have made the grade. However, it appears to have been dropped from the list recently. Hence, its absence from the NVIDIA press release.

19. Psycho Fetus

Psycho Fetus Newbie

Essentially the printing and the Dolby logo on the A7N8X Deluxe box is wrong? Asus website also lists the board as having SoundStream. Many other online retailers also list it as having SoundStream. If their certification was removed they need to update their site.

20. Adrian Wong

Hello Psycho Fetus,

Well, the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe was certified earlier... so it wasn't wrong or misleading of ASUS to print the Dolby logo on the box or declare the A7N8X Deluxe SoundStorm-certified.

NVIDIA has released no official comment on the A7N8X Deluxe's drop from the certification list. But it does appear to be a recent thing. I've received some unconfirmed information and I'm waiting for NVIDIA to confirm it.

Stay tuned! :)