12 Tips To Save Petrol!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adrian Wong, Aug 18, 2005.

1. giandek1

giandek1 Newbie

Cool but did you hear about saving petrol by running your car on water?

:clap: :dance:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Water? You mean water injection?

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Six year old thread...:faint:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

4. AndrewH

AndrewH Newbie

USA spell & 14-20

`Americans are actually in err to use tires, curbs, etc.`
    English printers changed spelling of curb to kurb, just because it looks better. Think this = just about the only case where US has right spelling; & not Britain. If an American wrote that their auto` was retired; 1 would not know if it had new tyres fitted; or not to be used any more.

Putting gear-shift into nutral may not save fuel; as still uses ¼ of average amount of fuel. (noticed this on car that shows fuel consumption.) Whereas when in gear & foot off the `gas`; it = not using any; but even in top; the engine = slowing you down. But how long before engine becomes an oil burner?

Some more ways to save fuel:

14. turn inside light off. (takes fuel to recharge battery.)

15. turn wind-screen (shield) wipers off before parking. (so engine turned off sooner.)

16. cut corners. (not metaphor; just taking shorter route.)

17. do not use rear de-mister. (if 1 needs to see behind; use wing mirrors.)

18. take parking-break off before starting engine. (only when on level ground.)

19. use 2nd hand tyres. (takes few gallons [several litres] oil to make new 1; so if less oil left, then dearer fuel for all.)

20. travel @ multiply of 8 miles(13 Km)/hour in top gear. (the exhaust pipe, like a trumpet, plays a note; so @ right speed they = in harmony.)

My question; My Saxo costing me £15 year more to tax than the Punto & Corsa I’d before would’ve because it uses more fuel. Why = this? as engine no bigger & does not look less stream-lined.

———————————

Shuttle Xpc small-form (fittings for 1 GFX & 1 PCI card)
    AMD Athlon 1800+ (1529521KHz)
    RAM = 768MB DDR2 333.
    Hard = 5GB9, DVD & floppy drives
    S-video, SATA, serial, firewire &c.
    I’ve fitted +1 more fan fixed onto back.
    OS = SuSE Linux 9.3
    Apart from 4 screws had already; built from free parts.

5. Adrian Wong

Kurb? I think you mean kerb, right?

Yeah, you are right in that going into neutral uses some fuel, as opposed to leaving it engaged while going downhill. But I'm not sure when fuel actually gets cut off when you go downhill with the engine engaged - it doesn't always happen.

Also, the fuel consumption by the engine appears to be very low when in neutral, albeit still higher than "nothing". The car is also free of engine braking, so accelerates downhill better. The question is which saves more fuel.

My new Hyundai Sonata gives me a live read on the fuel consumption, so if I see the engine cut off fuel, I try not to go into neutral. But if it still consumes fuel and it's a significant slope (and is relatively clear of traffic), I slip into neutral and let it accelerate down the slope.

BTW, how does turning off the windshield wipers off before parking allow the car to turn off the engine sooner? I'm also not sure how taking off the parking brake helps with fuel consumption when you start the car?

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

From my OBDII reader,

Engine braking doesn't use fuel on my car until I hit about ~1K rpm.

7. Adrian Wong

I noticed that engine braking cuts off fuel if my car's going at a relatively high speed. Once it slows down, it starts using fuel.

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I can't get those generic OBDII bluetooth to transmit data regarding my card to my phone T_T