4830 users?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Chai, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Any 4830 users here? I bought one a few weeks ago, and it's a fantastic card! There are so many modding possibilities with this card.

I even managed to overclock to 820/1050 using ATI reference BIOS!

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Might upgrade soon, but there's a lot of mainstream options from ATI now...dunno which one to get :lol:

3. Chai

There's also a new option, 4770. Looks great as well. But I'm not so sure how well it overclocks.

Another reason why I'm getting 4830 is the potential for reducing power consumption by turning down the 2D clock speed.

4. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

So far the 4770 has a stunning performance in a lot of review site. But i am waiting for the 1GB version and see how far it can push its performance. I do heard 4770 is a replacement for 4830. not sure if its true.

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

before this im tempted to buy 4830 as well but hold and hold till now and waiting for 4770 especially 1gb version

review are all good just few % behind 4850 and will oc more better? and the price is sweet at below rm400 :thumb:

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

i...sorta need 1 for HTPC lol xD...might wanna hunt for something like 4770 though (but some review mention's it has higher idle wattage?)

7. Chai

I'm not that impressed with 4770. It doesn't look very good to me. I'm glad I didn't wait for 4770. Idle power consumption is quite high for a 40nm.

At 820/1050, my 4830 will easily beat a stock 4850. :mrgreen: From 575/900, that's a huge jump. :mrgreen:

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. That's really overclockable. But I guess you don't keep it at those speeds, do you?

9. Chai

Actually I have tons of choices. I managed to find a BIOS that downclocks really well. I'm actually running at 200/250 to save power. It is quite a lot lower than 8800GTS at idle. I'm saving up to 25W of power. I'm happy as it is.

The ATI reference BIOS is a crazy overclocker. I managed to hit 820/1050, while the stock BIOS only manages around 700+.

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

So you flashed over the original BIOS with the reference BIOS?

11. Chai

I flash with ATI reference BIOS to overclock to 820/1050. But I'm using Sapphire BIOS to downclock to 200/250.

12. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

you used stock cooling or mod cooling?

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

sorta hard to debate >.<...the price of 4770 also tempting..cost less than RM400 :shock: hmm, maybe i should try lowering the voltage of my 4850 eh..

14. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That new junior 4770 entered the market. It has a truckload of potentials! :D

I'm wondering whether if we are lucky to unlock this thing to a 4890 or not... but unfortunately, nowadays those are not like the days of unlocking Geforce 6200->6600GT. :haha:

15. Chai

From the reviews, I'm not very impressed with 4770. If only the price is at least RM100 lower. Why die shrink these days are so unimpressive.

I'm using water cooling. On the stock cooling, it could do 720/1050.

16. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

Proud owner of 4830 + PhenomII X3 720 BE here.

It might sound corny but...'Enter the Dragon!'

hahaha...just wanted to say that.

Last edited: May 9, 2009