8800GTX pics

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by PowerSlide, Oct 25, 2006.

1. zachig

zachig Newbie

Yeap, probably we'll see some low-range 8200's and mid-range 8600's, but again, who knows, maybe the rumors are true and we'll see some monsterous 8900's...:rolleyes:

2. Echolac

Echolac Newbie

It's just the matter of time guy...just the matter of time:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

4. zachig

zachig Newbie

Hmmm...sounds interesting...:think: though, I wouldn't take it too seriously as "The Inquirer" tend to post a lot of rumours that evetually turn out to be false...:? :think:

Anyway, I hope this time it's true...:clap: ;)

5. sbrehm72255

sbrehm72255 Newbie

I'm going to be looking at a DX10 card sometime after the first of the year, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go with Nvidia or ATi this time around. Just going to sit back and wiat to see who comes out on top in the price range I can afford at the time I'm ready to buy.

6. tashkavarish

tashkavarish Newbie

I have an antec P180 and 4gb ram, and it does run nwn2 but only if i pretty much disable anything shadow related and even then i sometimes get slowdowns in some areas,

I put all my info in signature section, see below.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Quite an underpowered processor...

8. tashkavarish

tashkavarish Newbie

care to elaborate? seeing as I haven't seen a visible performance difference going from 1.8 to 2.6GHz (its a tad unstable over 2.2) on this cpu.

I've also thought about replacing mobo/cpu but that'd waste my ram too. In my mind it's also uncertain with regards to actual results since I went from a 1.466GHz amd barton core athlon xp to this with no noticeable improvement. Gaming-wise anyways, multitasking is a tad better but not overly so.

Ideally if I was to up the cpu it would use DDR1 ram, run at 4GHz or about, support 64bit (for future use) and hopefully not have as many unpatched bugs as the core duo's are reported to have.

thanks for the input still :)

oh and because of the lack of visible result from the last cpu update I did, I'm thinking of waiting for amd's 4 cores on 1 cpu before the next one.

9. werty316

werty316 Newbie

A refresh of the G80 is new to me and I haven't heard or read anything. When the R600 is out in Feb I think??? chances there will be a beefed up G80 to compete with it.

10. Chai

When I tested the 8800GTX, I find that at some situation, even the QX6700 overclocked to 3.2GHz (which is way faster than your Opteron) was just barely fast enough to run at high resolution with high details.

That's just for the graphics rendering. What about the AI? Physics? I don't know about you, but I feel that a lot of the X1950XTX's power is wasted.

Edit: It really depends what kind of games you are playing. You may not find the need to have additional horsepower. If you don't, then don't follow my advice. :mrgreen:

11. tashkavarish

tashkavarish Newbie

hmm wrong quote? ;) anywho, I've actually been more or less heading towards a 'I need more cpu power' angle. Especially after going from x800xl to x1950xtx with barely any difference. Even before you mentionned it too. Big problem is though is if I spend another bundle replacing ram/cpu/mobo so soon (opteron is still a recent upgrade) then find I'm still at square 1, it wouldn't be very nice ya know?

I really wish they'd come up with that 'wishfull thinking rumour' of reverse-hyperthreading where multiple cpus/cores are seen as one and give single cpu programs a boost. Then you could get out of a cpu bottleneck lots easier.

I know it'll likely never happen but still, gotta keep some hope :)

Right now what I'm considering is a core duo E6600, 2gb ddr2 (no point seen in 4gb so far) and mobo with a decent price/performance ratio.

The big 'will it make a difference' cloud looms over that upgrade though.

Advice welcome :)

12. Chai

I've corrected my quote before you posted. :p

Yup, I know how you feel. I've upgraded to S939 not too long ago as well. I feel very bad when they are going to phase out S939 completely this soon when I was planning to keep my S939 a little longer by getting a faster dual core in the near future. But now it makes me even more likely to convert to Core 2 Duo.

13. tashkavarish

tashkavarish Newbie

actually I can go AM2 fairly easily, it's the 2nd reason I picked this S939 mobo, I just need to find the elusive AM2 daughter board for it, and of course get an am2 cpu ddr2 ram and etc, right now though I'm unlikely to buy anything AMD, they simply threw all their higher performance/low power usage rep in the trash with that whole 4x4/fx deal, I mean consume twice as much power and give similar/worse results?? We're a long way from doing more per clock than P4's...

If I were to go C2D though I have no clue what to look for, I've never had an intel chipset past the p2 in my closet.

edit: 1st reason being agp+pcie without crap agp performance, I still had my agp x800xl at the time :)

14. Chai

My last Intel was a P3. Now I have every intention of going back to Intel, soon I hope.

15. tashkavarish

tashkavarish Newbie

Think we can brainstorm a way to get an affordable 3-4GHz C2D upgrade path without going beyond regular ol' air cooling ?

Oh and without making noise enough to bleed your ears too please!

Right now I'm pulling my hair out trying to find usb enclosures that don't have that (censored) 40mm fan that drouds out my entire pc, and that actually works with my dvd-rw drive. I have an el cheapo one from ads and it works with my old 12x dvd-rom but not my new plextor dvd-rw.

16. Chai

17. tashkavarish

tashkavarish Newbie

Well said and oh so true. Just about the same situation as mine except I started much later (first amd being a 1700+ xp). I've long hated Intel for the multitude of sockets and incompatibilities now amd's the same, so neither are a very future-proof. I was gonna wait for amd's 1cpu/quad core. Now it's likely I'll just fetch a quad core kentsfield and not worry about cpu for the next few years. Think there are any plans to make a dual-cpu motherboard that supports it? that'd mean I could buy one now and add another later to get 8 cores once multi-threaded games are more common (wishful thinking so far...). Oh and does anyone know what the status on dual-core/multi-threading is for nvidia/ati drivers? like do they use it much or what ?

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Another one here :wall:

I intended to get X2 as a replacement for my dead Opteron, but it ran out of stock, so I had no choice but to settle for a single core A64 until I upgrade :|

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

They are definitely going to refresh it sooner or later. It's only a matter of time. :D

Hopefully, we will see them migrate to the small 65nm process, cause the current chip is just HUGE!

20. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Are GPUs already using 65nm? Even ATI is only up (down?) to 80nm at the moment, and in the past few years they have been the ones who adopt smaller manufacturing processes first. :think: