A question on local Internet Service Providers

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by diaboluz666, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bslee

bslee Newbie

Its getting more pathetic as every day goes by and Malaysia is losing ground being competitive, best value for all, but in reality maybe best of the worst.(they officially utter that too, related to other issues too). I bet you can ask Jeff Ooi who's very intouch on IT matters and going on's..he'd likely be lost for words in trying to console anyone about current internet woes. Government protection to an industry is a double edged sword, but its very apparent that one of the edges cut really deep into the rakyat!. tell me I'm wrong. You bet whom I'm set to vote for soon. You all with me?
    If only they had diverted funds rather than space missions and submarines, improving internet access across the board can likely have huge dividends. What to do?. we have very weak wakils in the highest office of the land who're likely dead ignorant when questioned on IT related matters. I'm damn sure you question ANYONE there, you'd have him or her for breakfast!
    What else to say man?.. tolerate the nonsense meantime. Sigh!.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This is what you get when you stick with the same administration for 50 years....

3. diaboluz666

diaboluz666 Newbie

right on dude...!! Let's hope (and DEFINITELY do our part) to change it.. Meanwhile, yeah we'll all just have to bear with circumstances. I've registered with streamyx and I'm hoping I'll get connected by next week. I'm also hoping I won't fall into the disappointed statistics. TMnet reps, if you are reading this (if you care that is) there are TONNES of upset people who are still paying your a**. Shape up! You're the national standard bearers. We are the nation!

4. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

" you tak suka malaysia u keluar "

quote from some guy :p

5. bslee

bslee Newbie

Cheh!..that guy is likely a lamer!.. cos he got nothing better to say...not forgetting its also lamers that voted him into awfis.

6. Adrian Wong

That's why we need to vote these guys out of office.

Hopefully, it will allow us to bring in a new government who will finally open up the market for some real competition. That will really help improve the services we pay for, including Internet access.

7. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

my model when blinking again few days ago, reported and had a technician came to my area to fix the port. fortunately for my area, they r currently doing a decent job however
    ISP should have competitors like the hypermarkets sector..giant and also look at digi vs maxis vs celcom

8. Adrian Wong

I think they are having port problems because they switched from 3Com to some el cheapo China brand ports 1-2 years ago. :think:

9. bslee

bslee Newbie

Thats exactly what all citizens should now think. YES..the current regime DOES bring you progress but there's BUTS..

1. Slow progress: Give you Streamyx at RM88 (whatever) at 1Mbit but we're like stuck with it for years now and lag behind the competition. What next?.. no-one knows.
    2. Great highways: YES..at rakyat's GREAT COST. Tell me if toll is VERY AFFORDABLE and cheap. You're even CHARGED where the highway happens to be traffic JAMMED!.
    3. HUGE areas of the country still doesn't have internet access. Like when can it happen?.. next 5 decades?
    4. The only SAT TV.. Yes..another best effort TV channels to your pocket..(ok ok.. may not be neccessary for all). YES, you're ALSO CHARGED when there's NO signal..(Best effort again?)
    5. Perhaps the ONLY country that you pay upfront for a HOUSE that you've NOT seen and risk NOT ever seeing in the near future. Delivery can also be a joke.
    Aiyah..so many issues that actually bleed the rakyat and of value. Sorry, only fools and selfish ones will trust them with their votes. Please realise we're all PREY rather than CUSTOMERS!.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  10. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Don't forget la... the SAT TV's magazine's getting smaller and has more chock-full of handphone ads.

I liked my SAT TV back in 2000/2001. Only 3 packages and nothing 2 worry about. Why the earth they wanna split all into small parts later?:haha:

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

So they can have better excuse to make more money out of you.

12. Adrian Wong

Yeah... OT but Astro's service is NOT getting any better and they keep splitting out channels into "new packages" which you need to pay extra for. :hand:

Coming back to topic... I'm still waiting for TM to improve the international bandwidth. If they can't improve it, it's really pointless to go 4 mbps or even 10 mbps.

13. diaboluz666

diaboluz666 Newbie

Me too. Honestly, I'm sceptical and rather afraid that I might end up with not-so-nice stories about streamyx. I don't earn much (I bet a LOT of people also, TM!), but I do need to get connected somehow or another. So, I guess I gotta pay anyways and hope for the best. I'm waiting for the contractors to call to fix a date to install my phone (sometime this week, hopefully) and then try out their service. From what the sales-rep told me, there seems to be no problem whatsoever in my neighbourhood.. We'll see, dude. Hope your right. Elections' around the corner, people.. The King is dead, Long Live The King!

14. bslee

bslee Newbie

Its time to stamp the brakes on those self serving krauts who leech on the dominant party through get-rich-schemes. Time and experience has shown that its not in their best interest to even help their own kind everywhere. I accuse them of being very selective in addressing the current problem, when it shouldn't be like this at all.
    WHen there's calamity, do we see Datuk's tan Sris, Dato seri's swarming around to help needy people?.. Nope..most can likely be on holiday abroard. There was an occasion where our beloved DYMM Sultan Ahmad of Pahang, practically shouted out.. WHere the heck are all the faces of MY Datuks when in time of calamity?

No prizes for whom I'm giving my vote to this time!.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  15. Adrian Wong

Do note that TM is giving some contractors the opportunity to register new phone lines. If you get your phone line through those contractors, you will get RM 15 discount on your phone charges per month.

16. diaboluz666

diaboluz666 Newbie

Morning, Good People..

On this note, yea.. I just had my phone line installed the other day. Costed me RM30 for a dude to come to my place, stand outside, open the box, select a connection, test it.. Voila! My question is, why RM30? What justifies that? Sure I got my connection and all if he didn't do it, but RM30 is kind of steep IMHO. Probably I don't know what the deal is with TM and it's manpower.. Ahh.. well.. Just airing out my grouses.

So, then, here we are (wife & I) excited to have our streamyx broadband, I made the call to streamyx telling them that we have our phone line. The say that the friggin port was full. My agent or rather the sales rep NEVER said anything about that. He said, "Ok.. Semua ok. Saya selalu buat area tu. Takda problem apa2." Shouldn't he checked it out for me? I HATE sales people who are JUST out there to make a buck. NO honesty, TAK IKHLAS.. These people should go a little bit more than that, rite IMHO. At least he should have checked it out for me. He had a laptop set up at the streamyx roadshow (Summit USJ), check lah for your paying customer. Do you expect EVERYONE to know about the mechanics of broadband connection. Coverage lah, ports, lah, jumpers lah.. When I called him up, he simply said, "Abang call streamyx lah." Mo**%$^^($! What do I need you for then? I put it to him kindly (but firmly) that you are my agent to a big company, wouldn't it be easier for him to talk to people in his company about a paying customer's problem.

He relented (although I think it's a salesman skill) and said he'll help by calling up some people in streamyx. That's the last I heard of him. Mo**%$^^($! Salesmen should watch Jerry Macguire. Upon speaking to streamyx, they said 31st March at the earliest. :wall: :wall: :wall: ughhh! MONOPOLIES!!

17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Are they TM people... or just outside contractors? Cause TM, for some reason or another, just have to employ 3rd party contractors to do simple things like set-up phone lines and Streamyx connections.

Ahh.. That's the stupid thing. Unless you SPECIFICALLY ask them, they will NEVER tell you whether the ADSL ports are full when you apply for the phone line.

Actually, those agents are only interested in getting you to sign up for Streamyx or the phone line. They get a commission from those sales. After that, why should they help you? This is the Malaysian attitude.

I can guarantee you that he will NEVER call Streamyx for you. If you want to chase for the ports, go to Kedai Telekom and make some noise there. COMPLAIN about this sales rep. Put his name down in the complaints form, and demand that TM live up to this rep's promises.