Accessing Bios

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by redsierra, Feb 18, 2010.

1. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

Hi everyone, Just joined your forum and here is my first problem. I bought an Acer Aspire 5738 and I accessed the bios to record the settings for future reference by pressing F2 just before the notebook started to boot. I noticed that the bios layout is a lot different from what I am used to on my desktop pc. Basically there isn't many settings that one can do: system time and date, boot priority. Other items which were enabled are quiet boot, network boot, d2d recovery(whatever this is?). While F12 boot menu was disabled. Can anyone tell me how to see the full bios if there is any installed. Since this is my first laptop, I was expecting to see some thing like Advance bios feature, Advance chipset feature, Integrated peripherals, etc.
    Your input will be appreciated.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Welcome to the world of laptops :mrgreen:
    If you buy desktops from hp, acer, dell, their bios settings are almost the same with laptop.

You can't do much with laptops ;)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, it's unfortunate, but that's the reality of buying notebooks, or even desktop PCs from these manufacturers. Their BIOS will have absolutely minimal options to avoid RMAs due to improper BIOS settings. If they need to correct any BIOS settings, they will do it via BIOS updates than actually have you modify it in the BIOS setup screen.

4. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

So if I understood you right there is no way that I can record my bios for future reference, say when or if things go wrong and I have to re-instal the OS.
    Thanks for your quick answers

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Lets just say everything should be at manufacturer fail-safe default settings.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

With the limited access of BIOS, it's very difficult to go wrong. That's the reason why most branded PC do this. To reduce calls.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, you can sort of record the settings by taking photos of the screens, but that's about it... unless you have a BIOS that allows you to make a backup copy (highly unlikely for such PCs).

With that said, these PCs and notebooks have default BIOS settings that work right out of the box because they were tested and certified using those settings. That's why they limit the number of BIOS options you can tinker with.

So in case of trouble, just reset it to the BIOS defaults and it should work just fine. It may not give you the "fastest" or "best" settings but those settings will work for sure (unless you made significant hardware or software changes).