Acer Aspire One

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by TimberWolf5871, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Ok. My Acer Aspire one is freezing up at random. Its not graphics, I can get games to load. Its not overheating, my processor runs at 33 degrees C. I just replaced the ram card, thinking that was the problem. Now I'm thinking it's the soddered on memory on the motherboard. How do I get this fixed? Rather what should I expect to spend to fix it.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Any blue screen? Any error message? What did you do before the machine crashed?

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

My Acer Aspire One freezes quite often too.

Often, it isn't actually hung. It's just that the Intel SSD (if yours uses SSD like mine) is extremely, extremely slow. So I often have to wait 2-5 minutes before everything goes back to normal.

Other times, it just hangs for no apparent reason. I don't think it's a hardware problem in my case though... as those hangs ceased to happen once I upgraded it to Windows 7 Starter Edition.

4. No blue screen or error message as of yet. I was installing a video game, GTA IV. It froze mid-install, and has been doing this since.

You mean it's just the hard drive lagging? I dont know. I left it alone for a while, and it was still stuck after. I'll leave it alone again next time it hangs up. I'm still able to use messenger while it's hung up, but it never went back to normal.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

That thing ins't powerful enough to run GTA IV

6. Ran WoW just fine, and most other games I put on it

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

GTA IV is a beast even on high end gaming PCs. Part inefficient port, part intensive graphics.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It is almost impossible to run GTA4 on that, even if it can, it will be a slideshow.

9. would it be possible to skip past the "What I Did Wrong" phase and move on to the "What Can I Do To Fix It" phase?

10. zy

Even my laptop with C2D 2.0ghz. Nvidia 7400 can't run it. :snooty:

See if you can boot into Safe Mode. :think:
    I wonder if it could be hard disk problem.

11. It boots fine, but as it runs it freezes up. As I said, my mouse isn't affected, nor is messenger.

And I have tried it in safe mode. Still happens.

12. zy

Could you explain "freezes up"?

Everything refuses to run but your mouse cursor is not affected?

Messenger works fine too?

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

another way is to check the event manager at control panel. what os are you running anyway? finally manage to solve my random system hang issue (turns out to be cable issues and not the motherboard [tested with a new mobo] :haha:)

14. Using XP os.

15. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Uninstall the game? Go back to older vga drivers?:think:

16. Adrian Wong

Your system is not hung if you can move the mouse and even use MSN Messenger. What exactly do you mean by "it freezes up"?

17. zy

Right now I am guessing mouse moves, but cant click anything?
    But messenger works :shock:

Sure its not a mouse button problem? :think:

18. I found out what it is. Acer, in it's WTF wisdom, soddered 512mb of ram onto the motherboard. that's what went bad. gotta get a whole new board to replace it. Cheapest I found was $175.

19. most of my programs will stop responding. If I'm playing a game, it stops cold. If I'm websurfing, it diesn't load any pages. Messenger is the only one not really effected.

20. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That is really odd, because if it hangs, then you should not be able to do anything with it... not even Messenger. :think:

How did you figure out it was the soldered-on RAM?