ADSL Modem with routing capability...

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by peaz, Nov 28, 2002.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Routing capability in ADSL modem. Does this mean i don't need an ADSL Router???

I say this in discussion over at dxpose forum here http://www.dxpose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778

It was a pretty interesting read. The main modem in question there is the Aztech 900EB2 (the one i had before it died because of lightning...now replaced with a Hyundai Networks HASE 220.)

So i checked out my current adsl modem's specs here http://english.speedxess.net/product/residence/HASE-220.html
    and seems that it could be upgraded with a ROM Flash to include routing software...

Hmmm.... Then again, I should get a full fledge router with NAT and Firewall capabilities right?

What do you guys think??

The benefits i heard of having a router is that the bandwidth is allocated more equally among the sharing users right? I'm having 6 pcs sharing streamyx's 384kpbs bandwidth. Using ICS... it always seems like 1st come 1st serve. so it's not really fair for some other users. I heard a router would solve the problem.

Secondly, the built in Firewall and multiple IPs is nice to have when sharing internet connections :D

Anything else???

2. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Hmmm... maybe you all should have a Networking Forum around this parts but anyway Tech Support will do it.

Well let me start my long-winded story. I too have ADSL service over here in Cali, US and I am using a SpeedStream modem. This modem does not come with any routing capabilities and so I route it trough a modem that has WAN capabilities and also acts as a router/switch. The router that I got was a LinkSys. Here is the URL for it: http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=23&amp;prid=20

Its got all the goodies that you might need. NAT, firewall, DHCP, static routing, dynamic routing, port forwarding, filters and a DMZ host. So I don't think you will ever go wrong with a router box.

I have the DSL modem in my room along with the router box right next to it. From there, the router box is connected to 2 computers and another port is being directed to the second room via Cat5 to another Linksys 5 port hub. There, it is connected to 4 computers.

From what I can tell, no one computer hogs up the bandwith on our pipe and its shared evenly among the 6 computers in the apartment. So it will be a great idea to setup your network configuration like that. But of course, price will be a little steep because of the hub and the router box along with several lines of Cat5.

Just my 2 1/2 cents :lol:

3. peaz

Well, I've told chai that we need a networking section :D it should be up soon!

Anyway, That's the exact same router that I'm aiming to get... anyway, i guess 1mb ROM for routing software just isn't enough for a full fledge router la.

My house here is already equipped with a 5 port 10/100 switch and thanks to Jeremy, a whole bunch of cat 5 cables.... and his 12 port 10 Hub

So now with the linksys router with a 4 port switch.. i can uplink the switch to the rounter's built-in switch and share it all among the 6 pcs! :D

4. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Do you know how much the router cost in Malaysia?

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL! Jeremy was complaining there're too many sections when I started the forum. Majority wins. :lol: I created a networking section.

6. peaz

Router ah??? About Rm380++ kua around there now. That's for LinkSys ... there are cheaper brands around 300 but quality wise...

7. Punkychan

Punkychan Newbie

I suggest better use a router with WAN as PY222 had mentioned.But before purchasing make sure what is the max speed of that router is capable of ., because if your ISP is upgrading then you might have to throw that one and buy a new faster ones. Be sure to check it first.I remember back home (Seremban) few years ago running 56K was the happiest thing in my llife (at that time) but now residing in Japan, the slowest speed is ADSL 1.5Mbps.The ISPs even give you the advantage of upgrading your speed up to 100Mbps with just a little extra (50 USD a month + phone line 24/7)but the problem is whenever there is an upgrading , I have to purchase a new router.This is because the old one is not capable running at the speed given by ISP.But I think back home shouldn't be much of a problem...whats the DSL speed there now ? and I've heard of StreamyX..whats that ? Another ISP besides the Telekom ?

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow! That's really nice... 1.5Mbps ADSL! :)

100Mbps for USD 50 a month???!!! Man, that's DIRT cheap! Is hosting in Japan cheap? Cause we are in need of a host with tons of cheap bandwidth.

Telekom's Internet division has finally split off the monopoly to form TMNet (http://www.tm.net.my/online/index.html). Probably to prepare for AFTA. But it's still under the Telekom Malaysia Group. Heh...

Streamyx is TMNet's xDSL offering. Consumer lines start at ADSL 384/128 for RM 88 (USD 23) + modem rental of RM 23 (USD 6). While no one gets close to 384kbps, I think most users should get around 41KB/s or about 330kbps. Nothing compared to your 1.5Mbps ADSL but a lot better than our old 56K dialups. :)

9. Chai

40KB/sec is pretty good already. Because of the overhead, you will never get the rated speed by ISP.

wow, 1.5Mbps for only US50!!! Getting jealous man... :)

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup! The mileage varies, depending on your line quality and the distance to the nearest server. But a real miracle, compared to 56K dialups! :)

One thing though... our latency (ping) seems to be very high. When I ping rojakpot.com, I get times ranging from 500ms to 1500ms. Very high latency. Pings to microsoft.com timed out completely.

11. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

My rated service is also at 1.5Mbps down and 384kbps up but true to the nature of DSL, the throughput rate is only around 970kbps down. Not too sure about the upstream. And yes, I pay USD 49.99 per month for this service from SBC Pacific Bell.

Jealous yet...... :lol:

12. peaz

Yup.. Jealous like siao already!!!

13. Punkychan

Punkychan Newbie

Sorry for the late reply..was in another forum...yes, the ADSL here are at USD 50 a month which you get 1.5/8/or 12 Mbps.(The speed depends on how far you are from the NTT sub stations) but basically everyone gets 8/12 Mbps for normal home use.An extra 3 USD gets you a 100Mbps (not a typo !) which I'm having now and about 3 weeks ago they are upgrading (at no cost) to 250 Mbps by Apr next year.Yes, reasons to be jealous if you live outside Japan.Adrian, the webhostings here are expensive I've checked and that is the reasons why most local companies uses US based webhosting companies.

14. Chai

250Mbps???!!! That's really insane! How about the upstream?

15. Punkychan

Punkychan Newbie

Like my 100 Megs: down stream is about 99 % average but upstream not so...maybe 78 megs...about and that depends on the time of the day.

16. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

Your Internet connection is just as good if not better compared to my LAN connection.

I really must visit Japan soon! :lol:

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Ken: ERM! I didn't know my 10BaseT router was a 10/100BaseT router? ROFL! It's only 10MB cause I didn't have enough money to buy a 100MB router which used to cost a bomb back in 1999. *Sigh* :D

18. peaz

HUH???Black sheep sounds confusing sometimes... LOL

Well, currently not using ur HUB but later maybe -&gt; that's when we setup the rojakpot's test bench....

19. PY 222

PY 222 <b>DF King</b>

What kind of test bench are we looking at here?

Is ARP going to benchmark networking gear? or just to hook up a few comps to play CS or AA? ;)

20. Chai

The test bench is a multi function system. Test hardware, play games, crunch DF!!! :D