AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 65-nm Brisbane

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by CALLOFDUTY05, Dec 22, 2006.

1. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

AMD's released a flurry of new CPUs in the past few weeks. Up for eval today is the X2 4800+. This CPU is based on AMD's new 65-nm Brisbane core and runs at 2.5GHz. With the smaller manufacturing process, the X2 4800+ should deliver better thermals and power, but does it? Yes! In fact, you may be surprised by how much. What about overclocking? You'll have to read today's article to find out!

What you will get from today’s 65-nm AMD CPUs though is better thermals. This is because the new 65-nm CPUs boast lower power consumption figures. AMD lists a peak power rating of 65W across the board for all their 65-nm CPUs. In comparison, AMD’s 90-nm CPUs ran at 89W max, with energy efficient models at 65W and 35W.

With the smaller process, die size is also reduced, down from 183mm2 to 126mm2 on AMD’s 65-nm processors. The new 65-nm CPU’s are built on AMD’s “Brisbane” core and all announced models to date ship with 512K L2 cache per processing core (1MB total L2 cache). Model numbers announced to date include the 5000+, 4800+, 4400+, and 4000+. The following chart summarizes AMD’s current CPU lineup as it stands today, for simplicity I'm just listing X2 and FX CPUs

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_athlon_64_4800_65-nm_preview/

A quick look at AMD's 65nm Athlon 64 X2 processors :-

AMD HAS BEEN PROMISING for some time to deliver chips made on its 65nm fabrication process by the end of 2006. The year's end is perilously close, but a small package arrived at Damage Labs last week bearing evidence of AMD's success: a pair of 65nm Athlon 64 X2 processors. Looks like they've just made it in under the wire. In fact, Athlon 64 X2 processors built in this 65nm process are filtering out into the market now.

Process shrinks often bring with them some nice benefits, because smaller chips tend to require less voltage, consume less power, and generate less heat. They also sometimes allow more headroom for clock frequency increases. The question is: how is AMD doing on these fronts? What benefits does its 65nm process bring to the Athlon 64 X2? Let's have a look.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/athlon-65nm/index.x?pg=1

2. ELIK18

ELIK18 Newbie

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I've learnt my lesson. Never get the first die shrink revision.

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

When there's a new smaller die created, there will be some problems. Hopefully they will fix these in the later revisions. :D

5. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

Ya, they should just invest more times in the Die Shrink matter so that can't create ne problem after release.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! It's not a simple matter of just investing money into any lithographic process.

7. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Impossible, most the time it's not a bug in the die shrink, rather a bug in the development process and logic verification above all. You'll need working time with any new process to figure out it's nuances and kinks, it's just common sense.

8. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

9. Chai

I'm not getting any X2! :haha:

10. goldfries

hehe. i'm not OK with paying RM 600+++ for a processor.

wonders what would be the price of E4300. that one looks interesting.

if not, i'll just get myself X2 3600+ :D but fact is, i'll be ignoring dual-core processors for a while.

11. Chai

Dual core processor is a dream come thru when running DC projects. I don't think I can live without one. I'm just hoping for the E6600 to drop, then I can finally live in the 3GHz world...

12. goldfries

indeed. it's the only thing that makes me think of getting dual-core. :D

E6600 price is ridiculous. (and so are X2 5200+ and whatever that's above RM 500 in my eyes that is........haha)

btw Chai, you say you can't live without one.......but you are living without one, right? :D or do you have? you can get E6300 OC to 3ghz also mah.

the only dual-core unit i have now is my Macbook.

13. Adrian Wong

I agree. The Core 2 Duos are currently still very expensive. I hope Intel cuts prices soon. :pray:

14. Chai

Yes, I can't live without one. But I will get it as soon as they start cutting the prices in Q2.

In my office, there's a problem with Lotus Notes app, hogging the CPU process, affecting all the users in the office. I can see a very big difference between single core, HT and dual core. Dual core machines are silky smooth, while the single core is like 386... :haha: HT is still workable, but not as good as real dual cores.

I paid A64 3200+ for RM800+. C2D E6600 is like a bargain. 4MB cache gives quite a significant boost in performance, at least in benchmarks, and E6600 doesn't suffer from the low multiplier. There's a lot of bottleneck at above 400MHz FSB from my experience.

15. The_YongGrand

I want to buy these Pentium Ds if they are less than RM280. Eventhough it's an old technology, but the most basic ones are these. I'll see the Celerons and the Semprons in Dual-Core - sure will beat up the highest-end single cores. :D

16. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Intel will cut prices in Q2...
    At the moment E4300 is selling for about S$290 here, I just picked one up yesterday. :mrgreen:

17. Adrian Wong

I saw an E4300 in Low Yat Plaza going for RM 620 (USD 177).

18. The_YongGrand

I won't be busting up my wallet with processors above RM400 - just keep it fine and low enough if you are a casual user. The benchmarks can tell that the Cores are significantly better, but it's only a matter of a few more seconds and FPS different only.

The X2 3600+ is only 5% slower than the 3800+ if I'm not mistaken, this is one example. :D

19. Chai

That's not really cheap... :( I still want a 4MB cache! ARGH!

20. goldfries

WTH?!?! RM 620, i might as well get an E6300 with that $$$.