AMD dual-core CPU optimizer driver...

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Motoman, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...is it still necessary to install the AMD dual-core CPU optimizer with an X2 (or X3 or X4) CPU? Or is that the thing that Windows Update installs as an "AMD CPU driver?" I was thinking that might be the Cool-n-Quiet driver...

?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

AFAIK, AMD dual core is seen by the OS as a dual processor. Any OS since Windows 2000 should see multi-core processor without any patches.

Same goes for Intel.

3. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

AMD cpu driver is used for cool and quiet. AMD duel core optimizer is ONLY for Athlon64 X2s, DO NOT I repeat DO NOT install on a phenom X3/X4 rig it will destablize your entire system, phenoms don't need the dual core optimizer.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yes.
    and u need to install a patch from MS too if u own a dual core machine.

alternatively, you can install SP3.

by default, the os will be able to see both cores, but it doesn't mean you won't run into any app performance issue.
    prior to installing all the patches, i couldn't complete my CoD2. the game would stuck one point. it just refused to advance.

5. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...so, if you have XP SP3, do you need the X2 driver?

6. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Install the latest driver off AMD's website and you'll be go to go.

7. Will the AMD Dual Core Optimizer work on Intel processors?

I have a Pentium D (dual core) 830 3.00GHz processor, which is running into gitter bugs in a video game I am developing, that is not happening on other systems. A fellow developer installed the AMD Dual Core Optimizer on his AMD processor and it fixed the bug on his system. I want to try it on my Intel system, but want to be sure it's a Windows fix, and not related to AMD specifically, first.

8. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

I think there is window patches out there fix dual core bugs on games, if i remember correctly. Did you tried the upgrade your window to sp3 and used the autopatcher to patch the rest of the fix. it might help.

but i dont suggest you install amd software since it only meant for AMD ahtlon X2

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No. That is only needed for AMD X2 processors.