AMD Thorton Core To Be Called AMD Athlon FX!

Discussion in 'News' started by Adrian Wong, Jul 8, 2003.

1. pyro_maniac

pyro_maniac Newbie

so will my VIA KT133A chipset based mobbo be able to support the thorton ? currently on 900 duron :doh: and planning to ugrade it..
    so ..i'm wonderring shud i wait for this thorton ?...
    comments plz

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What motherboard are you using? If you can use TBred, then most likely it will work with your board, but I highly doubt so.

3. pyro_maniac

pyro_maniac Newbie

MSI K7T Turbo Lmtd Edition
    so far my friend had tested it with 2000 Palmomino and its ok...
    but i heard that it might be able to do with t-bred...however none tested with it so far

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

sorry pyro, kt133a chipset doesn't support tbredA/B core, which means it can't support barton and thorton too :)

kt133a does support palomino core. but not tbredA/B and barton/thorton :)

5. Chai

You need at least a KT333 to support Barton properly.

6. Caffinehog

Caffinehog Newbie

I don't understand why everyone is so excited. These won't overclock better than bartons, and they won't perform better than XP's. It's also hard to imagine that they would be cheaper than either. Especially when they only work in boards that bartons work in.
    Basically, this is a dumping ground for bartons with bad cache, or it's just to make AMD have to run fewer production lines. *yawn*

7. Chai

It's definitely going to be cheaper, since they would have to 'throw' it away. They are earning bucks from 'defective' processors!

And disabled cache theoratically allows better overclock too, remember the old Celeron? :)

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

yup what chai said is right... If priced correctly, then AMD might suddenly have a great value line of chips.

However, it'll of coz suffer from the lesser cache even being theoratically more o/c-able. Still if it's cheap, then you don't have much to complain. I don't see any ex-celeron users complaining also during the celery's glory days even if those are heck a lot slower than the P!!! :)

9. Caffinehog

Caffinehog Newbie

I doubt it will be cheaper. They wouldn't want to compete with thoroughbreds, especially since they'll have the same specs. This could very well replace thoroughbreds, though. In any case, it means a lot more to AMD than it does to the consumer.

Unless they work at 200fsb default. And even then, it means nothing to overclockers.

10. Chai

Whether it's cheaper or not, we will have to wait and see. But it would be stupid for AMD to price Athlon FX as the same as Barton.

Since extra 256k cache doesn't make that much difference in real apps, if FX overclocks 200-300Mhz better than Barton, I may get FX instead.

11. Photek

Photek Newbie

The Thortons will be 333 and 400 FSB only. Check the Asus BIOS updates. Support starts at only the A7V333 Rev 2.0 and up (333 FSB and up)

Oh, and hi all, I'm incredibly new...this thread was hit number one on google for thorton core...