Any ideas

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Falcone, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Anyone know how to take this kind pictures, the slight glow effects...

[​IMG]

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Photoshop, I'll reckon.

Could also be a lens with soft focus effect or softener filter attached, but since part of the background is still sharp (the water drainage grilles) I don't think those were used.

:)atwl

3. marauderz

marauderz Newbie

Think it could be photoshop.. look near the legs.. looks like someone used the brush around it. Either that or it could just be JPEG compression. Maybe we should take into account the material worn and how reflective it is?

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

looks like PHOTOCHOP "blur" trick... hides imperfections like in CS5's pics! :wicked:

5. Falcone

Well photoshop blur alone won't do the trick, I had to use dual layer and filters and manually erase some part...(too much work) and may not produce the effects correctly.

6. Falcone

Ok, taking u guys' advise i did an experiment. But I still dun quite get the effect I wanted....hmmn maybe the pic is not good to bein wif.

Attached Files:

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Try the Soft Edge Glow technique - using Gaussian blur on a duplicate top layer at... maybe... 3-5 pixel strength, set that layer to Lighten mode, then add a Layer Mask to selectively apply the effect to the whole image.

8. Falcone

Actually that's similar to what I did....only I darken the bottom layer so it won't lighten overall and a third layer on top to show the part I want to be clear. Also I used despeckle to smooth the face a bit.

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

how bout this?

duplicate image..
    then blur the first one.. then choose lighten (blend mode)

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      138.3 KB
      Views:
  10. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about... plus I also mentioned using layer mask to selectively apply the effect to only specific parts of the picture.

11. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Part of the problem with the post-processing is that we're working with an already sharpened and downscaled-for-web image whereas the photographer in the sample picture is probably working with the original high res image.

This is what I could get working on such a small picture.

Attached Files: