Anyone using Dashcam?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, May 3, 2017.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I have been thinking about installing one, but because my cigarette lighter port is always on, not ignition on, I have always been concerned about car battery drain.

So how did you install yours? And what model are you using right now?

2. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I keep thinking I want to get one but haven't gotten to do it so far. Was also thinking maybe I should just get an action cam (Sony FDR-X3000 with its BOSS looks pretty nice) instead, can be pretty versatile if I want it to be easily interchangeable between cars and bikes.

The always on port on your car might be a problem though, most driving-based action cams have some kind of auto-start system based on when you turn on the car so that will confuse or mess up the system. Might have to do manually plug and unplug the cam in this case. But it seems like a more stable way; I always worry about power spike when you start the engine on standard cigarette lighter ports.

3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

A118C powered by aftermarket 12V to USB power. USB power hidden behind the sunglasses holder, and 12v side wired to auto dimming mirrors.

IMAG1925.jpg
    Aftermarket 12v to mini-USB
    IMAG1929.jpg
    USB power hidden behind the sunglass console.

2015-03-18.jpg
    Tap to dimming mirror.

2015-03-18 (1).jpg
    Front view..

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

X3000 is a great choice if you want an action cam, but it's not going to work very well as a dashcam. And it's way too expensive to mount it in the car anyway. Someone recommended Viofo A119 quite sometime ago. I'm not sure it's still a good choice right now.