Apple Launches Third Generation iPad with Retina Display, LTE.

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Falcone, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Other than the high res screen, it is quite a meh launch.

But who cares, it will be the best selling iPad, regardless... :lol:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The key upgrades are just the retina display and the quad-core GPU. I'm quite disappointed that they are still going to release a 16 GB version. Seriously, for a high-resolution display like that, the minimum should be 32 GB.

For those who are used to 32 GB on the older iPads will need to upgrade to the 64 GB "new" iPad to keep pace with the larger file sizes associated with the much higher resolution. So despite Apple retaining the same price points, you are being forced to upgrade one step up.

I guess Apple also wants to spread out the improvements. Next year's iPad will probably have a quad-core CPU, 32 GB to 128 GB of storage, plus NFC and Siri.

4. Chai

I'm not sure if older iPad users or developers are too keen on the quad core GPU, especially if the game developers are going to optimise 3 different game quality on 3 different iPad versions. It is also a sort of fragmentation that Android is facing, indirectly.

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

In the end, we are all forced to upgrade :lol:

6. Adrian Wong

It's not really fragmentation because those games will still run on even the first generation iPad, unless the developer decides to make it only for the new iPad (only high-resolution).

Many developers choose to support at least two iPad generations. I think that's reasonable. Games that are designed for the new iPad should run okay on iPad 2 but will likely run too slow on the original iPad. Ultimately, those games will encourage the older iPad owners to upgrade.

7. Adrian Wong

BTW, I'm not sure why they went with LTE instead of 3G... Not many places in the world support LTE.

Anyway, who's buying one? :D

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Whats wrong with "4G LTE" =p

9. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

I might get one. But Ipad2 is tempting too. they brought it down by 100 USD !

10. Chai

Exactly what I was trying to say. Android versions are also usually backward compatible, but it is not recommended since it is best to optimise it for a single device when the hardware specs are different.

They are simply trying to make iPad 3 a strong gaming device.

11. Adrian Wong

Nothing wrong really.. just a tad too soon IMHO. It's like a feature bloat for most users. It would be better if they added it in the next iPad.

12. Adrian Wong

True, but I think Android devices are, by nature, a lot more fragmented - too many models with different hardware specs. That makes it much tougher to deal with than Apple's iDevices.

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

good luck to ARM licensees when they need to move beyond 2x nm process. no one except Intel seems to be able to get 32nm right, then you have these GPU guys making noise about moving into 22, but ended up with 28.

samsung has finally caught up. but the gap is widening with every die shrink (2 years after westmere).

then kepler and radeon 7000 got delayed from late 2011 to 2012. TSMC is not able to mass produce chips using the 28nm process.

Both are Apple's manufacturing partners.

It would be a quad core if they could get 2x nm to work. Apple will never allow a thicker profile or poor bat life. Unfortunately, android makers don't give a shit about these things, so they might just have an advantage here??

am not expecting a radically improved "new iphone" in June. how about a switch to x86 16nm atom cpu in late 2013 (provided if intel's tick tock didn't slow down)

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

I don't think fragmentation is a problem for consumers (for developers yes. so you have to be a smart developer)

my friends don't ask if the samsung GS2 runs on v2.2, v2.3 or v4.0 when they buy new phones.

To them, they want the GS2, not android 2.3.

Fragmentation happens to iphones too. there are 34 iphones owner (out of a total of 63 employees) in my client's office. 9 still run on ios 4 :| . they don't upgrade because they do not know there is a new version of ios available for download :|

in short, normal users will never give a fxxk about the software version in their phones or any extra cloud features ..... majority don't even sync their phones.

probably because there are so much to worry about in everyday life already. traffic jam, packed MRT, no char bo, got char bo, no lui, got lui, boss kao peh, wife kao bu, children cry at night, then have to deal with cucumber faces here and there :wall:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  15. Chai

Yeah, exactly.

Even though Android has so many different models and OS version, do you really hear much complain about compatibility issue?

And the Google Play (formerly Android Market, stupid name change) is smart enough to filter the country, OS version so it is less likely to encounter issue.

The biggest problem the developer have to face is sacrifices. Image quality or more sale? Usually its the latter.

16. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

quoted for the truth. my fren is still in andriod 2.1 . facepalm

17. Adrian Wong

I agree that most normal users just don't care. My youngest brother KNOWS there's a major iOS upgrade for his iPhone but he just refuses to upgrade. Says it's too much of a hassle. LOL!

18. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Normal users just don't care about the upgrades or whatever specs they have in the phone. They just want a phone that just works without hassle.

Sometime having the best specs and lowest price doesn't mean much if you don't know how to package and market it.

19. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

BTT. I know I'm NOT getting one. No point since the iPad 2 works just fine... for now at least. LOL! iOS 6 would probably be when I'm jump again as it would likely make the iPad 2 slowwwww. Like iOS 5 did on the iPad 1.

Personally, I think Retina display is too far ahead in time for many of us outside countries where network speed is super fast. I mean, graphic heavy apps would be in the regions of gigs! And even Apple has recently bumped up the data download limit of the AppStore from 20MB to 50MB. Generally this limit is where most App developers would aim to hit, just a little below so users can download it anywhere they want, not just at WiFi hotspots. So that means, a majority of apps would soon be at about 50MB. Maybe they won't be filled with bloat and sloppy programming. But still, 50MB download with Maxsux and Shitcom 3G network on KL? Whoo! :)

20. Chai

Hmm...I'm not sure about iPad's choice of resolution, but the 1920x1080 makes perfect sense on an Android device since you can directly copy 1080p movies and play without doing any conversion. Perfect for in-flight entertainment. :mrgreen:

I won't bother with streaming contents even if connected via Wifi, the poor quality is usually visible even on lower res screen IMO. If I have Retina Display, I would definitely *ahem* copy 1080p videos preferably.