aren't AMDs a nice budget CPU

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by goldfries, Apr 17, 2003.

1. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

taken from http://auc.buysell.com.my/bbs/allpo...+)&sortOrder=asc&Closed=&page=1&X=Y&TID=44763

interesting to see 1 guy who's supporting p4 all the way in AMD enthusiast place. p4 is good, no doubt. but IMHO for an RM 220 AMD CPU to do as well (or as close to) an RM 2200 P4 CPU, it's say it's definitely worth the price.

2. drab

drab Newbie

NICE! they are brilliant :lol:

3. SuicideBom-

SuicideBom- Newbie

Amd is very good budget for those who want lower cost pc but why they still clock their new cpu with lower clock ? for xample with their new Athlon 64 , i heard they only clock it below 2 gig ? why did they have to do that ?

4. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

mhz isn't everything !!!!
    nowaday, mhz rating is no longer a measurement or rating for speed

amd NO NEED to clock their processor so high coz work per clock (IPC) is more important than mhz
    this is prove by the lower clocked AXP, for example, an 1533mhz 1800+ can eat a p4 1800mhz easily,most important, 1833mhz barton can eat the p4 2.5ghz :shock:
    and also a 3ghz celeron can't even compete a 2ghz p4

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

yup that's right. MHz is nothing now they way processors are made today. different techniques are now applied to make the processors faster. Intel went the deeper pipeline route to enable high speed MHz with lower IPC BUT compensate the high branching-error rate (due to deeper pipeline) with an advanced branch prediction algorithm.. so if they improve simply just this alone, they dun need to chnage the design and still can get a better processor.

AMD... they push for more IPC on their CPUs the good is that at lower clock, they perform more... BUT the problem is limitations... more IPC = shorter pipeline. and more IPC also = more transistors....
    shorter pipeline makes it hard to clock the CPU at high speeds making it less flexible to MHz upgrades for the same core (relatively to p4 architecture)
    more transistors... meaning less yeild per wafer (costing...)

6. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

If for compiling program>> You just have a high CPU speed is not use also... It need a lot of RAM !!!

AMD is consider cheap compare with P4... Hope about u need some money to get a better heat sink??? Eheee :lol:

7. goldfries

hrm. X-Dream is only RM 50 - 80. still cheap.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

because AMD ain't god. the 0.13ns + SOI process isn't that mature yet. In the first months of production, they doubt that the yield will be any more than 30% and that is based on information from other chip manufacturers that use similar processes. that would be 44pieces of opteron out of the theoritical yield:148pieces. The yield for a 1.8ghz chip is already so low, what do you think about the yield for a >1.8ghz chip?

Besides that, an Opteron 1.8ghz setup is able to kick an intel's Xeon setup so hard. there is no point to release a product that is 10x faster than the current fastest cpu. they want a product that can remain competitive now and save their strength for when it's absolutely necessary.

Opteron is basically an "enhanced" version of the k7 architecture. It features two more pipeline stages than Athlon XP(10 stages); x86-64 support, caches are identical to k7 caches with slightly lower latencies, higher bandwidth and larger in size and an on-die memory controller. So you can't expect them to debut with a 3ghz-4ghz chip since the fastest AXP is only 2.25ghz.

9. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

AMD processor aint really good.. cause its not as lasting as a P4... I've had a friend who bought an AMD anthlon XP 3000+ throughberd... I when to his hse to stay overnight... and I went some intensive benchmarking and testing on his system... he did change his heatsink and he doesnt use stock heatsink.. from the first time he fire it up ... it was ok... but in the afternoon... the performance just dropped like crazy.. everything just lags up... everything just slows down.... as for Pentium case... even though u use a stock cooling it doesnt slow... haha... 55c°? you know that is HOT for a pentium ? and its adviceble to lower down the voltage and bus speed for it ? for intel case... 55c° is way too hot for the processor.. as for AMD... macam tiada....

10. drab

drab Newbie

Never broken amd yet! 8)

11. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

what do ya mean ?

12. drab

drab Newbie

A.M.D.proc never let me down yet :p

13. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

hm.. weird... wonder what is missing in his processor... his idle temp was 35celcius... its kinda LOW for AMD processors... full load about 40+celcius... its low for an AMD processor... and its running at default speed...

14. drab

drab Newbie

Who's :?:

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

LOL. for your information, tbred doesn't lower down its speed when it's hot. the latest Athlon XP motherboards have this feature (thermal throttling) but AXP itself doen't have. P4 has this thermal protection technology. once it reaches a temp. say like 75, it will slow down the core speed too overcome the overheating problem.
    Don't believe? Try to run a game with a p4. take out the heatsink, your game will still be able to run but it will be very very laggy..install your heatsink back and you will instantly see that you game speed will be back to normal. now try it on AMD platform. LOL.
    Your friend's system slows down isn't because of the AXP lower down its clock speed itself. There are lotz of reasons. Like I said before, maybe it's your friend's board that lowered down the clock speed (thermal throttling: ON) to prevent the overheating problem. What OS are your friend using? WIN98? win9x/me kernal doesn't handle the memory as efficient/good as winNT kernal. the performance of system that is powered by win9x/me will normally slow down after a long period of heavy usage. restart the machine will fix the slowdown.
    AXP cpu is just as good as p4. In fact, the AXP should be able to last much longer (theoretically) compare to p4 willamette core as palomino/tbred and barton core uses copper interconnect while willamette uses aluminium interconnect. The latest northwood core uses copper interconnect.

16. goldfries

1. 3000+ is not a thoroughbred, it's a barton
    2. it doesn't slow down. most of us have our AXP running almost 24/7. mine does that sometimes even thru hot and cold parts of the day. no problem.
    3. your facts about slowing down, refer to Zue's explanation. actually i've tested. AXP it's either it goes on, or shuts down when overheat. P4 it goes on, and slows down when overheat. my friend's P4 had a lose heatsink once so it slowed down everytime the processor is under load.

17. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

its not throughberd ? Must have seen wrongly.. haha... anywayz... its running at 35celcius... is that too hot ? hm.. he is running windows 98SE

18. goldfries

35c is nice.

19. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

then stop complaining about teh slowdown okay? and stop blaming ur friend's barton 3000+.
    His has a top notch system...Why he wanted to use such a crappy OS?

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

3 AMD processors in 3 years, zero problem! In fact, my Intel died mysteriously before, and the core chipped. Celeron 566.