aren't AMDs a nice budget CPU

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by goldfries, Apr 17, 2003.

1. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

drab... are u too happy bout ur achivements and u have to post it THREE times ? hehe just kidding !!!

2. drab

drab Newbie

Noticed that. :cry: tried to delete but it wouldnt let me :?

3. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

haha... bet ur very happy bout ur achivements.. :D !

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

it's because Intel controls the CPU market and therefore can price their full range of cpu prices any way they want and AMD just have to follow

so yes, AMD have no choice and they really have a problem projecting their earnings... notice that everytime intel drop prices, AMD would follow suit.

same goes the other way but for intel... i guess they don't really give squat when AMD threatens with a price drop as Intel can afford to drop prices anytime.

if AMD's to play the market... they would need to have at least >30-40% market share... otherwise.... they are nowhere. but to do this... it's not use consumers that is the one determining it

Intel and AMD's main customers are actually corporate clients that buy high-ends processors.... mainstream consumer products are just marketing tools.

simple business logic. u can sell a processor to a corporate client with very high buying power and earn 1000%. but how to u sell the processor to them??? the thing called marketing... to be a household name among the consumers.... therefore, corporate desicions are mostly inclined towards society's perception.

Basically, i think AMD's marketing strategy is a little off. they should follow how Intel do their ads... where simple layman can see that their chips are good. So far, the amd adverts i see, only tech junkies like us can apprciate it.

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

ehh. i've not seen AMD ads around M'sia. i see some blue-men on TV and newspapers before.

6. peaz

that's exactly what i meant :D the only AMD ad we see is not tech news pullouts and IT mags..... not mainstream TV and radio...

7. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Em... i still can not get the idea why they do not have any marketing plan on the banner, adv, ...I believ they have in other country but not malaysia.... Is it anything block them to do so???

8. Brian

Brian Newbie

they got here.......it's a part of a worldwide marketing plan called AMD me, but there's very little of it here. if you walk towards plaza low yat from Pudu jail, you can see the ads at the monorail pillars, just don't go near the monorail pillars, or else the metal tyre might hit your head :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;) :p

9. goldfries

they do ad here and there, rare. they should be more aggressive. i know Intel is aggressive but cooled down nowadays.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

what the heck...
    got lar.
    you know jalan imbi?
    you can see amd ad over there lar.
    but in malay version :roll: :roll:

AMDme.
    but here is AMD saya.
    stupid lar. "AMD saya" stupidddddddddd ad larrrrr...

anyway, fyi, amd isn't making any $$$. they lost like a dog last quater.
    if they continue to drop price like this, they earn shit.
    AMD's pricing from the 2400+ down is now equivalent to Intel Celeron pricing.
    a good question by overclockers.com
    barton 2500+ is only RM370 while pentium4 1.8ghz is RM4xx!!

OMG.

11. peaz

well, i've not gone to low yat for like 2-3 months already :(

anyway, i went to amd's site and and checked out their AMD Me ad campaign...u see.. that's exactly what i meant by techie advertisements...

i mean... show that to a 10year old..can they understand????

compare to Intel's pink or blue bunny guy....it has a fun theme to it! who cares if it got nothing to do with the CPU... :D or even the ad where they animated some bunch of aliens learning of a P4 system..... simple lay person ads.. that's the type of ads that sells...

12. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

haha.. the more creative the ads is the more buyer they would have HAHA ! anywayz... where is low yatt ??(cant blame me for not knowing... Im not stayyin in west malaysia)

13. goldfries

actually layman knows nuts about it.

AMD just need to get people to know the name that's all.

look at Intel, most people just know the bunnymen, blue men and alien.

but they'll choose Intel cos they're more familiar with the name. heard most often. AMD? rarely heard......what's that?

when you're stuck with 2 name brands, you'll have the tendency to go for the one you heard off the most, due to simple reasoning like "since i heard it the most, that means a lot of people are using it, and if majority are using, it's good." (and yes it's good).

14. peaz

yes. goldfries have just completed his 1st year of marketing degree... :D lol ;) once u understand how business is made, u'll see why big orporates like Intel make the move they do ....

15. NeoSquall

NeoSquall Newbie

hm ? so its like the more people talks bout the brand the more better the processor would be(by the person's point of view) am I right ? haha... crowd psychology... smart~~... haha... but I do hear lotz of people talkking bout AMD... and those partly newbie to comps talks bout intel...

16. goldfries

that's what ken and me meant.

you see, you hear people talk about AMD.........but did you notice that they're the tech savvy group?

check out the average joe on the street, if they talk about computers they'll think of Intel.

17. Brian

Brian Newbie

true.........in my school, Intel is associated with quality and AMD is associated with heat and low quality
    the reasoning?
    AMD=low quality, that's why hot
    give up trying to correct them :think:

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

lol. you know what..my 60yo uncle told my another uncle that MS rulez the world. even US gov. is powered by MS OS. :roll: :roll:
    muahaha. donno where he heard that crap from.
    your house would be hit by tomahawk anytime if the tracking/guidance system was powered by windows :lol:

19. goldfries

LOL. many servers are actually running on UNIX/LINUX.

20. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... just like tooth paste. Colgate is popular and everyone seems to use colgate as the substitute for tooth paste. :D