ARP Gaming Review Squad

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ishtim, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Apply to be a part of the ARP Gaming Review Squad!

Hello! :wave:

ARP is currently looking for gamers that would like to contribute to game reviews for ARP. This autumn promises to be an exciting time with many anticipated games to be released. Now is your opportunity to share your opinions, critiquing your favorite games, (system specs :wicked: ) and performance with other game lovers. No special requirements or costs.

PM myself or any ARP MODs/Admin to apply.....

GAME ON! :thumb:

2. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

:shifty: bump :shifty:

3. Sir Killalot

Sir Killalot Guest

Can you give a little more details about it plz?
    like:
    - Are you just asked to review a game, or if you happen to have played a game what your opinion is?
    - How proffesional is this, or just an opinion or asked to turn the game inside out?
    etc..

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

:wave: :wave: Hello Killalot! :wave: :wave:

We are currently working on details and any ideas & suggestions are welcome!

The original idea was to have "volunteers" review (express opinions / critique) games based upon each individual's perspective. This allows active development of discussion or even debate for "reviewed" games. Besides the basic likes and dislikes, things such as realism, i.e. physics, the lack thereof and performance based on the reviewers hardware, etc. would be covered. That way, if you were curious about a game, you can find "real life" information and opinion instead of the generic "7.2 out of 10" type measurement.

Professional? Not really. ARP and it's friends are generally willing to provide FREE advice and experiences based on opinion/facts for many of those whom visit. As far as the level of detail is concerned, that is up to the individual reviewing the game. Some may want to go as far as OC'ing to maximize performance of a particular game while others may just offer the bare minimum in terms of opinion. The "minimum" is really what we are working on at the moment. A standard set of things that should be discussed for each review seems to be a must. But, like I said.... We are open for suggestions & ideas. :arp:

5. vccy118

vccy118 Newbie

How bout graphics requirement? I am currently using a ATI 9700 Mobility Radeon and can only do light gaming, even after i overcock it. That actually limits the number of games I can play.

6. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

That's just an advantage, IMO!
    Too few reviews are done based on the minimum specs, so telling others how a game behave with lesser systems is really useful!

My own rig is less than half speed of current front end systems, and that doesn't prevent me from running any game I want! (I don't want to run that many games, at least not many new ones...)

Cheers
    Olle

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, that's fine.. I'm also using the MR 9700 and I can run Doom 3 just fine. :thumb:

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i'm on 9600XT .. :) i love AA with 1024x768 .. but i wonder what settings can it run :haha:

9. Sir Killalot

Sir Killalot Guest

:wave: Hi! :wave:
    Sounds good, but ofcourse..difference of opinion will come into play...giving it a rating just show an average of what the people in general think - which is not always correct. Just a few das ago I really enjoyed a movie that 'only' had a 5.5 on IMDB.com
    Hmm...bare minimum ey? Well I do like to maximize performance and apart from hard drive (although a 10K rpm HD is sort of overclock :p) I've overclocked about every main part in my system. But that doesnt say that I won't enjoy the bare minimum; just certain games really miss out then.

Exactly.

But how does this work forumwise? Are you emailed when a new review is up (well I think so as ARP is filling my box up quie nicely already :p)? Do you get a special status ( :dance: )?
    Just make a thread about some game I like (or dislike...) or put it in a special thread here in the Games department?
    Sorry...but still a little vague :shifty:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  10. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

also, how many games do we have to review?? like 1-2 a week or something else??

11. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Reviews will be posted similar to hardware reviews... Main page... lah (thanks to Dash..) As far a s special status goes... it should be NO problem for those worthy to be granted "Official ARP Game Review Squad" Status.. :thumb: :roll:

No specified quota for # of games, just that the reviewer obides by the guidelines. If you would like a copy of these guidelines just PM me or any other ARP Mods/Admin... :thumb:

12. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

ARP Gaming Squad Guidelines

Here is a revised set of "must have" topics or guidelines to cover based on ARP-GS feedback...
    These are just guidelines to maintain formatting... I am guessing 1 to 2 paragraphs per section, but NOT required

1. Name (also known as "_____________" if different in foriegn markets)
    2. Genre (i.e. Action/shooter, MMORPG, Strategy, Turn based RPG, etc...)
    3. Cost (Release date, expected cost MSRP if demo, provide link to lowest cost & perhaps list in RM, USD, & EURO's)** & ***
    4. System Requirements (Minimum/ recommended, or "I need more RAM, better card type comments...)*
    4b. - Computer security issues. (If the game require administrator rights for solo play offline it's poor programming, if it requires administrator rights for online gaming it's very very bad! "User" rights is what should be expected and used to avoid security breeches, like a hacker taking over your computer while you play.)****
    5. "Your" System specs (what settings did you use, driver versions, etc..)**
    6. Objective Gameplay (non-opinion based, time spent playing, etc..)*
    7. Subjective Gameplay (likes/dislikes, opinions, gripes, etc... "opinion based" What exactly did you like /dislike? )* & ***
    7b. Comments on the manual. (The manual is an important part of the product, and shouldn't be overlooked. Is it well written? Easy to read? Useful for newbies to the genre? If the manual is in the form of an unprinted book in PDF then the printout costs should be included in the displayed game cost.) ****
    8. Performance & Tweaking ... I gotta get more FPS!
    9. Screenshots/pics/movies etc... (may want to include stunts, easter eggs, etc. please notify reader of any hints or spoilers)
    10.Conclusion and overall evjoyment (Would you reccommend it to others, etc...suggestions for mods or patches or performance improvements)***

* thanks vläd
    ** thanks DarKSeeD
    *** thanks [AK]Zip
    **** thanks Olle P

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  13. Adrian Wong

I agree with everything Ishtim said! :thumb:

14. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I would like to Ammend the above guidelines as well as add a comment.

Let's add the ESRB rating for applicable titles.

After spending some time on my first review, I think it is a good idea to keep this in "white paper" form for readability. This paragraph/novel approach is much more pleasing to read than numbered or bulleted forms. IMO, summaries can be more coarse for those readers that like to get all the info in one quick look. :|

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  15. Adrian Wong

Okay, so do we add the appropriate ESRB rating in each review? As in the explanations you listed above.

16. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

At a minimum we should provide the rating. Delving into why, should be up to the reviewer. :thumb:

17. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

do i still have to apply?

18. Adrian Wong

LOL! Not really. :mrgreen:

19. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

How about me? I knwo i went AWOL, so do i have to re-apply too? (=

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL! Long time no see! Nah, if you have submitted before, you have passed. :D