ASUS M2400N Upgrades

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by PsYkHoTiK, Feb 16, 2009.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hey guys! :o

I recently resurrected a laptop of mine and I would like to upgrade some stuff on this ancient dinosaur.

First of all, some specs!

Processor: Intel SL6F8 Banias 400MHz FSB 1.4GHz
    Chipset: 855GM
    RAM: 768MB
    WiFi: PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on this.

I would really like to upgrade the processor and wireless module on this (update it to a G). I read around that it is possible to use Dothans with 400MHz FSB with this mobo (not the 533s though). Just want to run it by you guys. Trying to use as little money as possible (no sense in dropping hundreds as I might as well buy a new laptop).

Recommendations?

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Oh yeah, will probably be sourcing the stuff through fleabay. :o

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

2200 BG wireless cards are real cheap... :shock:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Banias? I think they are quite limited. Wireless card should be easy to upgrade, if you can find them.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I was wondering if I could squeeze some Dothans on it. Think its possible if I try the 400fsb Dothans? I already found a 2200 BG that can fit in the mini PCI underneath the keyboard (took it apart just now).

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You have to make sure that motherboard supports Dothan since it's a die shrink and it might not work without a BIOS update.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hmm. Yeah, I doubt they would do that since their Dothan laptops are M2400Ne. Blergh. Will probably ditch that idea unless if I can find a cheap faster Banias. I just picked up an Intel PRO Wireless 2200 BG off of ebay for 12 bucks... :o

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, forget about the CPU upgrade unless it's really cheap and supported by the motherboard. Best to just upgrade the RAM and the wireless card.

Oh, that's cheap!! Just 12 bucks! :thumb:

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah probably gonna ditch the idea of replacing the CPU (unless if I run across a Banias thats a lot faster for cheap). Maybe some more RAM later on (though seems to hold well to Ubuntu for now).

Pics of the WiFi card being replaced (2100 B to 2200BG).

Oh, and GIMP ftw... :thumb:

Attached Files:

10. Adrian Wong

Poor man's Photoshop? :mrgreen:

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Not neccesarily poor man's photoshop... :p More like free man's alternative to MS Paint that holds its own against Photoshop. :p

12. Adrian Wong

Ahh... yeah, I guess that's a far more appropriate description! :D

13. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

One of my cousins gave me her Sony Vaio - with an Athlon XP-M processor inside. There are just many things that couldn't be upgraded (well, too lazy to think of the processor!) - except the RAM.

Fortunately, it's a lot more now and I used my USB wireless adapter. Too bad the DVD-ROM broken already,so need a hard-disk installation of the WinXP. :)

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Install Ubuntu using a USB drive... :p