Atari 2600

Discussion in 'Games' started by Trinity, Jun 18, 2008.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Talking about classic gaming consoles, they have those little nifty "Sound Processors" like the MOS's Sound Integrated Device chip, General Instruments Microelectronics' (now Microchip Inc.) AY-3-8910 and Ricoh's one for the Famicom system.

Nowadays, I couldn't find these chips around anymore, not even clones or remakes of those things. These chips have simple three-oscillators, some pitch bending things inside and other analog circuitry inside.

I intend to physically make a "chiptune" outta it, but now I have to end up using an emulation, or program routines in a microcontroller to emulate the chip's function. :haha:

2. The_YongGrand

The best thing about these processors in the majority of the famous Atari videogame consoles are using MOS 6502/7 8-bits. (if I'm not mistaken)

And the funny thing is, they are still available in new revised versions, from the Bill Mensch's Western Design Center company.

If I have the time, might construct a mini Single-Board Computer based on the 6502. However, it is not sold in Malaysia, so these must be ordered from America. :D

What about the assembly language of this one? Hmm... :think:

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Take a look at some of these projects.

http://www.6502.org/homebuilt/

6502 Assembly - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

4. The_YongGrand