ATi vs Nvidia

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by ariyamusafir, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

Question is, which of this is much better and what is the base refernce that either one is the better choice?

Now, the real question comes in. Ati is now under AMD. Now, assume that we are using AMD processors, we should eventually use an ATi card? Thus, ATi cards would work better on AMD chips. Correct me if I am wrong....

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That's kinda like asking if Mercedes is better than BMW. It's very hard (and pointless) to generalize like that.

No, you can use NVIDIA graphics cards with AMD processors. Similarly, you can use AMD graphics cards with motherboards that use NVIDIA chipsets. It would be stupid of either company to restrict their market for their products like that.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I'm personally using "AMD" (ATI) Radeon 6950 on my Intel i870 based system. Works extremely well.

4. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

No no... that was not what I meant. I mean, yes it will work, but definitely, AMD would have their graphics in ATi to blend super perfect with AMD processors, right?

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If it works fine with ATI and Intel combo, how much better would AMD + ATI be? I have no idea...

There are more issues with the graphics cards on their own (drivers etc) than the processor combination. You won't get any advantage pairing them with the "same" brand, which really isn't.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, in the past, NVIDIA-based motherboards would automatically overclock any NVIDIA graphics cards installed in the system for that "edge" in pairing NVIDIA with NVIDIA. However, I don't think anyone is doing that now, including NVIDIA.

7. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

ok.. so everything is fair and square.... hmmmmm....

8. jos007

jos007 Newbie

NVIDIA
    Nvidia has PHYSX, supports 3D, and is generally considered more reliable; nvidia cards are usually much quieter too.
    Although if you are running super high res you may want ATI, since they do cards with loads of ram, but you're probably not. Also ATI can force Anti-Aliasing in some games that don't have it, and you can run 3 monitors off one card whereas with NVIDIA you would need 2 cards (SLI) for 3 monitors.
    For a single powerful GFX card get NVIDIA.