Awesome Memory

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by CPFitz14, Dec 1, 2002.

1. CPFitz14

CPFitz14 Newbie

Just letting you guys know about PNY memory. First of all, its cheap, which is always a plus. I got 256mb of pc2100 for $50 a while back. Second of all, it's easy to get. You can find it at almost any local computer store, Staples, CompUSA, BestBuy, etc. Best of all, is that a lot of the time, they use samsung chips, such as the one that I got:D This memory is running at an FSB of 219, or DDR438!! Here's a sandra benchie

[​IMG]

-CPFitz-

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow! That's a great memory score! And with a PC2100, incredible. :shock:

3. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Cool man a high score @@!!

4. calvinator

calvinator Newbie

hi...newbie here :)

i got 256mb mushkin pc2700 ram, set to 2-2-2-1, but i only get like 2065++ for both the int and float figures in sandra. i reckon this is pretty low, even when i compared it with the sandra reference results. and after seeing your scores here ,cpfitz, i was totally floored :)

any ideas why my score is so low? fyi, my system is athlon xp 1800+, abit kd7 non-raid, and nothing is overclocked (still newbie mah).

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

The scores also depends a lot on what Chipset you are using and for VIA's case, what 4in1 drivers you are using... :D these faactors do make a lot of differences in terms of memory speeds.

6. Chai

The reason why your memory score isn't much higher is due to the processor limitation.

Your AMD processor runs at 133MHz, with DDR, just like your memory. No matter how fast your memory is, but if your processor is stuck at 266MHz (DDR), your maximum memory bandwidth the processor utilizes is still at 266MHz DDR. Unless if you overclock your FSB, forcing your processor to run higher than 266MHz, then your memory bandwidth requirement will increase.

P4 is a little different. Since the processor runs at 133MHz QDR = 533MHz, it requires more memory bandwidth your SDRAM can cater. So increasing the memory timings and clockspeed on a P4 system will show bigger performance improvement.

7. calvinator

calvinator Newbie

peaz, im on via kt400, but im sure u guys know too that that aint any much faster (if at all?) than kt333...dunno why i gotit also...as usual lah, kena salesman talk ;) well ive already downloaded the new 4in1 hyperion drivers but havent installed it yet, since they say if u're not having any problems, then no need to update...

chai: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ic :) wow u make it sound so clear...its funny, ive gone thru hours of research reading up on all these shite, and hardly much of wat ive read gone thru into my head. kinda overwhelming. but when u explained it there, haha it seems all too clear to me now :)

well if thats the case, maybe i can muster enough courage to really start overclocking the thing. how much can i increase the fsb without additional cooling? dun think im gonna get extra cooling anytime soon, but im wondering how far i can push the thing for it to run stably. maybe i'll try upping it by ...10mhz?...and see if it makes a difference to my memory bandwidth.

/me prays hard.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Eh, i did mention it's best for KT400 users to install right??? LOL but then again, from what I read, only 8x AGP users would benifit a lot from it. Not sure about other though.

Well, you could try installing the Hyperion drivers, I've not heard of any troubles with it yet. The only reason for me not installing it is that there is no clear advantage for me doing so as I still use the only KT7A. It's like me not installing the 40.xx detonator drivers cos I'm still using a gf2ti ;D

As for overclocking, take it the easy way, start with upping FSB by 5 or 10Mhz....then use a few hours.... if stable andyou want to try more, up some more and repeat until u find instability. If you wish to try to run it at that instable speed, try upping the CPU voltage by a notch.

But remember ur CPU is running hotter if u increase the CPU Voltage!!!

Also, it depends on what cooling u are using now to begin with! AMD is a very HOT CPU so good cooling is needed to overclock it. Stock cooling is only just enough to run the CPU as stock speed.

9. Chai

That's a very brief explanation, and this is what I understand. So if you ask something more technical, I might not be able to answer you. :)

Just wondering, is your Athlon XP a TBred? Try not to increase CPU voltage if possible.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

LOL! Calvinator = G-Double O-C-Hump! Kok, what the hell is wrong with your PC?

11. calvinator

calvinator Newbie

well at the mo, i still havent installed the hyperion and the nvidia 41.09 drivers yet...curiuos how far i can push the system before i install new drivers. kiasu sial...just hope it dun backfire ;) btw peaz, im using stock cooling, and the reason why i wanna overclock abit on stock is becos i saw some ppl's 3dmark scores and they mentioned they're using stock cooling but then managed to overclock abit. but im still kinda ambivalent about it lah...see when i brave enough lor...

chai, yeah mine's thoroughbred...supposed to run a tad cooler than the the normal one i think...but yeah, you're rite...things pertaining the voltage, i really scared haha...

woi skiitz...hahah wat took u so long lah. actually nothign wrong with my pc, just wanna push the bugger only ;)

ok now i got a bit problem...i enabled agp read synchronization in my bios today, and i got like 100+ less in 3dmark. then i re-disabled the thing again, im still getting the lesser score. normally i get around 10.6k with it disabled...dunno why after enabling and disabling it, i get only 10.4k++...arrgh. so read sync is bad??