Blank Screen After Upgrading Graphics Card.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by erickj92, May 17, 2009.

1. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

The ATX12V is located on my motherboard, isn't it? Or did I skimp too much on my mother board when I built this new system?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, it's located on the motherboard. It would be really odd if your motherboard doesn't have the extra ATX12V power connector.

3. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

Well I'll probably head to Best Buy next Monday and buy a new PSU. I'll let you know if that fixes it. Thank you very much for your help. :)

4. Adrian Wong

No problem! Let us know how it goes! :thumb:

5. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

Well after upgrading my Power Supply to the Black Widow gaming power supply, the issue continues. Yesterday I took the 9800 GT back to Best Buy can got a replacement, because PNY tech support told me it was a defective card. After installing the new card, the same issue continues. I have even tested these cards in another system, and the same issue occurs. What else could it possibly be?

6. Adrian Wong

Replacing the power supply is one thing. Did you also attach the +12V ATX power cable to the motherboard and the 6-pin PCI Express power cable to the GeForce 9800 GT card?

7. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

I hooked up the +12 V 4-pin connection to the motherboard, yes. But, my PCI Express card doesn't have a 6-pin power connector. Odd, I know :s.

8. Adrian Wong

Oh yeah, I forgot.. the 9800 GT without the power connector. So the replacement card didn't have a power connector either?

9. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

No. It is very odd. I can't think of anything else that could possibly be wrong.

Here is something else I heard. I am supposed to put the 9800 GT into my PCIx16 slot, and hook my monitor up to the On-board graphics to install the drivers for the 9800 GT. But when I do this, the 9800 GT takes priority, and I can't get a screen using on-board graphics either. When ever the card is in, the screen remains blank. I have even went into safe mode with the card out, and un-installed my drivers for my on-board card and put the 9800 back in, but still no luck.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  10. Adrian Wong

Why would you want to do that? You do not have to use the onboard graphics card to install the driver for the GeForce 9800 GT.

The onboard graphics circuitry should automatically disable itself when you install the GeForce 9800 GT. You may need to set the graphics boot priority to PCI-E or PEG Port instead of Onboard Graphics. See here - Tech ARP - PEG/Onchip VGA Control

But with the GeForce 9800 GT installed and hooked up to your monitor, you just need to boot up into Windows XP/Vista. Both OS will detect the new card and load up in SVGA mode. This allows you to install the driver, after which you just need to reboot for the driver to take effect.

11. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

I have set my motherboard to let the PCIe slot take priority. I cannot get into XP, though :(. This is very frustrating.

12. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Just wondering.. Did you try with a different card?

Also, please check the BIOS. Did you enable ACPI (not APIC)?

13. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

I have indeed tried the GeForce 9400 in the recent past, and that one worked. Sadly I no longer have the 9400. I will check out the ACPI setting shortly. Thank you for the responses.

14. Adrian Wong

The reason why I asked is because if you enabled ACPI when you installed Windows and accidentally disabled ACPI, it will prevent Windows from booting up. Just re-enable ACPI and you should be able to boot up.

15. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

Where are the ACPI settings? Also, would the "Maximum Payload Size" setting have anything to do with anything? That is set at 4096 right now.

Edit: A friend of mine also recommended I flash my BIOS. Would that be necessary? I don't like doing that if I have to lol. Too risky.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  16. Adrian Wong

Take a look here - Tech ARP - ACPI 2.0 Support

Try enabling ACPI if it's currently disabled and vice versa.

Yes, you should update the BIOS. Even if it doesn't directly help resolve your problem, an updated BIOS is always a good idea.

Be sure to read your motherboard manufacturer's guide on flashing the BIOS and make sure you download the correct BIOS update. You can also read our guide on flashing the BIOS - Tech ARP - Motherboard BIOS Flashing Guide

17. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

I just got off the phone with my brother, and he said my motherboard is the likely cause of my card not working because it can't support the new graphics card in it. What he said to do was get a motherboard like this: Intel Desktop Board DP45SG Intel P45 Socket 775 ATX Motherboard w/RAID, Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire, HD Audio (8-channel) INTEL BOXDP45SG
    And he said that *should* fix the issue. Would that be true, or should be motherboard handle the card without issues? The motherboard I have now (Link on first page) is a very cheap, low end board.

18. Adrian Wong

The motherboard COULD be the problem. See here = http://forums.techarp.com/processor...isabling-onboard-graphics-biostar-p4m900.html

You might want to give the BIOS update a shot first though.

19. erickj92

erickj92 Newbie

Thanks for all the help. Solution found. Turns out after contacting Biostar tech support that my motherboard isn't compatible with newer graphics cards, specifically the 9600 and up. So what I did was dropped $120.00 on a ASUS motherboard, and the system works like a dream! Thanks for the help guys.

20. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

that kinda suck.

anyway good thing you have solved your problem :thumb:
    did you have to reinstall windows when using the new asus motherboard?