broken graphic card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by roadrunner, Feb 20, 2009.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner Newbie

i have a msi fx5900u vtd256 graphic card with a missing capacitor from position c19 on the board i think it is the same type as the capacitor next to it
    can some tell me where i can get one also what the numbers mean as to what type to get and where from
    the only nos are
    3 3
    6a
    and has a black mark on the edge
    any help appreciated

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Lemme get our resident repair genius, empire23, here... :D

3. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

If you can, take some pics and post them here so i can tell what kind of capacitor it is. Most caps have to be visually IDed to tell what brand and make they are because most manufacturers use logos instead of letters.

3.3 should mean 3.3 Volts, although i doubt it as most would use higher voltage tolerances than that. But it could have been used as a cost cutting measure.

1000 should mean 1000 uF or Microfarads.

6A probably would be the production/batch/model code, this is unique to every manufacturer (eg; Elna uses the letter R for their caps, like RFS, ROA, RJS and so on while Nichicon uses a 2 letter designation like FJ, KZ, FG and so on)

The black mark indicades the negative side. This is a standard features.

You should take some pictures before i can give you a proper reply.

4. roadrunner

roadrunner Newbie

hi i cannot get a better picture as from above you cannot se the no there is a k embosed on the top if this helps

Attached Files:

5. empire23

From what i can see, it's a 3.3 Volt, 1000 uF, SMD capacitor with a 8mm footprint. You can use the search feature of the sites that i posted to look for the particular part, Mouser especially.

Now the thing is getting a place that will sell you 1 capacitor. But generally i buy from the below places

1. Mouser.com
    2. Farnell.com
    3. Digikey.com

try this search and look for something with the correct diameter. Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors

6. roadrunner

roadrunner Newbie

i cannot find a 3.3 volt one i have found this picture on the internet which shows the same type of capacitor labeled the same way hope it helps could it be a sanyo as looking at there catalogue they appear to be the same

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  7. roadrunner

roadrunner Newbie

i have managed to get a better picture of the capacitor

Attached Files:

8. empire23

you can actually use a 5volt one. As long as it's not lower than 3.3 volts, it should be cool. Most important is the capacitance and footprint matching.

The Sanyo SEPC and SP/SA caps can be used, but they're pricey and very hard to find most of the time. And i don't think the ones in pic are Sanyos, sanyos usually have a purple streak to indicate the polarity and usually have the model designation on them.