Broken laptop, with a twist.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_YongGrand, Nov 20, 2011.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

My cousin gave me an old Vaio back a few years ago, and recently the screen's flowing out the liquid and it's ruined. But all is not lost: the bottom part is intact.

I felt bad parting the laptop, so I took out the screen... manually. I asked 3 computer shops, none of them wanted to do that even if I paid them.

Hours later, I successfully ripped out the screen. Thought I had busted its interiors, but it is all still good when I run it with the external monitor connected.

Yeah, and the liquid stank. Thankfully I got rid of that. But can't simply throw it in a bin - like other electronics, it has traces of heavy metals. How you guys dispose of them?

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

send trin the cpu... If it's intel.:D

3. The_YongGrand

:( Argh, too bad it is not Intel CPU, and not even a Centrino.

It is a 2003 Sony Vaio with an Athlon XP-Mobile processor.

Though it's a bit sluggish and with the busted DVD player, still when I took out the screen and connect it to a monitor, it makes a good mini desktop. :whistle:

Attached Files:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Unfortunately, Malaysia does not have a good recycling policy for tech products. We are amongst the world's top recycling nations for papers and metal wastes, but not tech wastes unfortunately. We don't even have proper disposal protocols and infrastructure for CFL lights which contain mercury!

5. The_YongGrand

Hmm. I will ask around for proper battery and electronics disposal. These things are not easy to handle, btw. :whistle:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

wow, bury it somewhere ?