Budget GPS system?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by The_YongGrand, Sep 22, 2009.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey men and women,

Is there any good, cheap GPS system you can recommend? So much of brands and so much of types, but which one suits the casual user well? Any good ideas and thoughts? :D

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

tomtom ? garmin?

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think Garmin has establised itself as one of the most popular GPS.

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

google maps on iphone.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I was thinking of the same thing. :D

6. The_YongGrand

Haha, but now, I can't really afford an iphone - just a basic GPS system will do.

Will come down to somewhere in PJ to find stores which sells those stuff. :D

7. Adrian Wong

There's a Garmin shop in the Curve @ Mutiara Damansara.

8. The_YongGrand

Oooo, thanks for the location! :thumb:

Damn, I've been going to and fro to the Bandar Utama quite a number of times around these weeks! :haha:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's not exactly GPS.

Now I can't live without navigated GPS. Although phone GPS doesn't work as well as dedicated GPS (slower updates), it's by far more useful than Google Maps.

Even the relatively affordable E71 has GPS using Garmin Mobile XT.

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

actually tons of brands around, just suddenly can't recall the brands :wall: over lowyat also can get lots of good deal on gps :D

11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

For GPS, invest in a good one la, go for Garmin, slightly more expensive but it's worth it

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Garmin is really good. :D Only brand I'd trust for navigation (Magellan flakes out a bit too much - well at least the one I have).

Though I have to say, I am liking Google Maps on my TP2 too... I can find all the hole in the wall places to eat that I can't find on my in car GPS (the power of Google) and it will tell me how to get there (and show live traffic data). Given the view isn't as nice as garmin nav but it is Google Maps (I use it quite a bit sometimes anyways). Plus with HTC's quick GPS, it locks on the sattelites really fast. The prob is you'll need a good data plan for it to be of any real use.

13. zy

My GPS has bluetooth option for data.
    I think it can get traffic data or something, not very sure.

I ran the latest firmware on it and it has highway junction support... and Text-to-Speech for street names :p

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah text to speech is something we have for all three of our cars. I personally turned it off for my suv (would rather listen to my music - since its an integrated unit). Most of these GPS units can do traffic data, but it is subscription based. I'm cheap so I won't pay for it. Google map feeds it free through 3G. :mrgreen:

15. zy

I think you are right, subscription based and you still have to pay for data transfer :wall:

16. Adrian Wong

Wow.. You have to pay for data transfer too? :wall:

17. zy

using phone :p Calling is cheap, but text, data etc etc are not.

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Which is why my TP2 is awesome. Unlimited texting (in US) and Data (3G) is unlimited too (3G stays on)... :) And if anyone international wants to call me, there's a skype client installed... :)

19. The_YongGrand

Yes - I've bought the cheapest one already - the Nuvi 205 one. Not that wide screen, but it properly did the job of helping me go around in KL. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  20. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Can't go wrong with the Nuvis :thumb: