Buying A Car

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, May 17, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Jenny now wants to buy a car, after checking out the Kia Spectra and the Hyundai Accent sedans. They all look pretty good, although they do cost quite a bit.

Kia Spectra is only available with an automatic transmission and comes with a 1.6L 16V DOHC engine. No idea about its fuel efficiency. The basic version goes for RM 63,629 while the Novus version goes for RM 78,000.

The difference between the basic and Novus versions are :
    - 6 CD changer
    - Body kit
    - Synthetic leather (read : PVC) steering wheel
    - Synthetic leather (read : PVC) seats
    - NAZA Cool Tint (UV protective tint)
    - Chrome door handles and wing mirrors
    - Alarm system
    - White signal lamps

The Hyundai Accent, on the other hand, comes with the choice of manual and automatic transmission; and a 1.5L 12V SOHC engine which they claim is VERY fuel-efficient. The manual version goes for approximately RM 63K-64K with basic + luxury accessories installed.

The basic + luxury accessories kits add the following :
    - upgrade from 13" steel rims to 14" alloy rims
    - reverse sensors
    - number plates, 3rd brake light, fog light, kick plate, exhaust finisher
    - ABS (mech type)
    - U-Kool (UV protective film)
    - Synthetic leather (read : PVC) seats and door panels
    - Synthetic leather (read : PVC) steering wheel and gear knob
    - Power windows

Today, I took her to check out the Proton Gen2 as well. There's a new H Line version that comes with dual airbags, ABS, sport rims and real leather seats. Same 1.6L engine though. I think it retails for RM 59,000.

The dealer claims it has a fuel consumption of only 6.1L per 100km. That's pretty good, I think. :think: It's also the only car in this line-up that comes with airbags. Neither the Kia or Hyundai cars have airbags or real leather seats.

However, the rest of the Gen2 is really quite plasticky. :wall:

So, what do you guys think? :think:

She says she prefers a non-Proton car. I think she's sick of the poor quality junk we have had to live with until now. But thanks to our government's policies, local carmakers are still being pampered with tax benefits.. Therefore, it's quite a lot cheaper still to buy Proton cars. :wall:

Another potential solution would be to buy a second-hand car. :think:

2. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

who is jenny? :think:

say no to plotong and korean made...korean made is famous for high FC and plotong is well know for 'high quality' :thumb:

why not get britney?....err..i mean vios :mrgreen: :thumb:

or perodua MyVi if she want something small.. :thumb:

3. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

4. Adrian Wong

LOL! Jenny is my girlfriend. :mrgreen:

Yeah, heard about the MyVi. But I think she wants something like a sedan.

BTW, the Kia Spectra and Hyundai Accent are actually pretty small inside. There's really not much space for passengers in the back. The Gen2 is more spacious. :think:

Oh, her budget's about RM 40-70K, I expect. So, she cannot go for cars like Toyota Vios or Honda City. :mrgreen:

5. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

i would agree with TF's suggestion... better grab it before it becomes a 6month wait for a car.

IMHO if you are worried about the cost. its either proton (for size) or perodua dont think you should consider anything else unless you know the person who is selling you a 2nd hand car.

6. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

And buying used "New In Malaysia" or grey-import vehicle can be RISKY if you're not careful.

EDIT: btw, the GEN.2 & Spectra isn't a sedan. They're are hatchbacks.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  7. Adrian Wong

Which suggestion?? :confused:

Well, the thing is.. she prefers the Spectra but it's quite a bit more expensive than the Accent. But the Accent is not quite as well equipped as the Spectra.

The Gen2 is cheaper and comes with more features like airbags... but it's a Proton and lots of stuff in there are made from plastic.

How much are both cars? The Toyota IST looks very interesting. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, the salesgirl told me the TRM (Tiara Replacement Model) will debut in June at around RM 40-50K. It will come with a 1.1L or 1.2L Renault engine and a centerline exhaust.

8. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

The 3rd post.

btw, the IST retails usually around 110k - 140k brand new depending on the dealer & specs of the car. It's a grey import btw.

EDIT: The ISt 1.3 models are cheaper but most of the units brought in by the grey-importers are the 1.5 models.

9. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. I know it's the third post. I was just wondering which CAR he was referring to. :mrgreen:

Woah... You have expensive tastes! :mrgreen:

10. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

I was referring to the Swift, just launched in Malaysia.

11. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

nah..just dont mention gen2 here..it is just POS... :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

if u want a sedan for 40-70k then not much choice other than korean...or even 2nd hand japanese...

12. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

so envious u all...... :cry:

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

yea.. i prefer 2nd jap cars anytime over a proton

14. Adrian Wong

Oh, the Suzuki Swift. Well, it's not a sedan. :(

15. Adrian Wong

Really? You tried it out yet?

I checked out the showroom model. It doesn't have a feel of a really polished car. The doors are hard to open and close. Everything in the cabin has a cheap plasticky look.

But I haven't had the opportunity to test drive one yet. :think:

16. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

17. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

How much is the Honda? :shifty:

I have been thinking about what the least exp. best value imports are and I think if I were to get one I would have to chose between Honda or Toyota. With my pref. being a Honda civic. :shifty: :confused:

18. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Since you're looking for a sedan, what about the Waja. It's basically a GEN.2 with a boot & slightly squarer exterior/interior.

19. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

A Honda Civic 1.7 VTEC, the entry level Civic in the Malaysian Honda lineup costs RM 109,900(28,923.56 USD). For the same price, you can get a 2006 Toyota Avalon Touring for just 28,600 USD in North America!

20. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member