compatibility question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by miahman, Aug 16, 2009.

1. miahman

miahman Newbie

hi,
    i know i do this everytime i come up with a new computer.
    ironically, i never buy it, yeah everything good is still out of my budget. but with my birthday and results day so close..... i might be generously looked down upon.
    *cough* anyways.

i tried looking around and came up with a custom PC. the components look compatible as far i can tell (i did check, but there are a lot things that got me confused) therefore i would appreciate it if someone who is used to building computers can check if these components are comaptible with each other. (especially with the PSU).

thanks

case
    PSU
    motherboard
    RAM memory
    graphics
    hard drive
    dvd drive
    CPU

i intend to use the windows 7 i pre-ordered. :D

thanks again

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

The setup should go without a problem, it's pretty nice but why go with Quad when can you get a faster processor at the same or lower price? Also will you be using the setup for? Extra memory would be good.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:thumb: good comments

go Quad Core if you intend to do alot of rendering/video editing.
    go Dual Core i you intend to play games

2GB is not enough. 4GB is pretty standard now.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If I were you, I would go with the suggestions above. Choose between quad or dual core based on your usage - whether you do a lot of video editing or professional 3D rendering, or if you play games.

More RAM is always a good idea. In most real world situations, a dual-core processor with 4GB of RAM would be faster than a quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM.

5. miahman

miahman Newbie

ah sorry forgot to mention, i was getting 8GB ram.

with the processors:
    i alwasy thought quad core was better for gaming?? was i wrong all this time?

does gaming require more of front side bus?

and their stock was updated so i'll be using this ram now

also changed link on first post :D

6. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Good memory it was available with NFS Carbon for a while but I saw that only with the 4GB kit.
    The game has to be programmed to use the 4 or more cores. Also not many apps and games are supporting multicores 4+ it's like 64bit in early days. For graphics and video editing yes, a quad is what you need but for gaming go with higher speed.

7. miahman

miahman Newbie

thanks for the advice.

now i'll be able to save pounds for when i do buy a computer hehehehe :D

8. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

isn't 8GB a bit overkill?

9. miahman

miahman Newbie

i was thinking futureproof..... @_@

you know, then i won't need to worry about updating it in the future :D

10. Adrian Wong

Well, dual-core is good enough for games as most games aren't optimized for more than 2 cores. A faster dual-core processor with a higher FSB would be better than a quad-core processor at the same price.

With that said, most Intel Core 2 Duo processors are fast enough to handle even the most strenous games if they are 2 GHz or faster. Just look at our benchmark results here - http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=499&pgno=0

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Unless you are getting Core i7, I don't think that's true at all, especially if the quad core is running slower than dual core, which usually is, especially at the same price point.

12. miahman

miahman Newbie

i see.
    i'll look for a different processor and post the link soon.

13. Adrian Wong

You can try the E8500 or E8600.

14. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

+1 those are popular CPUs

15. miahman

miahman Newbie

true ...... but the PC made above seems unrealistic now that i look at my actual budget...*cough*

so i went looking for a laptop since i'm going uni and all and i came a cross laptop which claims to have dedicated 256 MB ati graphics
    this is the laptop

and according to acers official website this laptop is using radeon HD 3200

does that mean i can use this lappy for gaming?? (not FPS games, just games like dynasty warriors 6, NFS, burnout etc)

16. lee_what2004

it just means as replacement for intel gma4500, but more powerful, but don't expect too much. It still an integrated graphic.

17. miahman

miahman Newbie

oh.... i guess that sucks then, i might as well go for a cheaper one or a dell one

18. lee_what2004

19. miahman

miahman Newbie

£399 i can squeeze out but looking at £349

i will check the above lappys right now

20. lee_what2004

I guess the asus is over budget.

within that budget, the best you can get is ati hd3200 and *might* ati hd3450 from compaq cq40