CONROE GOODNESS!!

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by s p r a n k i k o, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But a Celeron-M based motherboard is not cheap. :D

2. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

We can argue benchies forever.
    I oc my pc for fun not performance, That's what I'm getting at. I don't need the extra performance to run ANY games I've come across to date.
    What's the difference between Doom at 100fps or 200fps - nada. All the extra fps gets you is smoother gameplay and theoretically anything above 25fps @60hz should be smooth (I said theoretically) I know it's not the case but anything above say 50fps certainly will be, so I'm not about to waste money on Conroe/AM2 yet.
    Sure in the future we will need them but at the moment I don't, so I'm staying put with s939.
    If people want to rush out and hand over their hard earned, good luck to them, I'm keeping mine in my pocket for a while and wait till the 65nm AM2 arrives, I reckon thats when AMD will again rule the roost.:haha:

3. Amen to that! :haha:

4. Chai

That's where you are doing it wrong. Why would you run at 200fps, when you have the choice of running at 50fps at much higher detail or higher resolution?

There's no such thing as enough. It will never be enough for me because I will always push the graphics to the borderline of good graphics and good fps. That's the reason why we push it to the max. If you are running at the max resolution and max details on your favourite games already running at 200fps, then clearly, overclocking and faster CPU is not necessary for you.

5. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

200 is a figure I pulled out of the air, but I think you know where I'm coming from. I'm getting max video settings and "smooth' gameplay (@ whatever fps) so why would I want to upgrade now.
    When the smoothness goes away at max vid settings well then you should think about it. But I will still argue the point with psychotik that 10 less Pi points means nada if your games are already smooth. Yes you might be able to get on the net and brag about how well you've setup your pc to run Pi, but really who cares?? Super Pi isn't a game:beer:

6. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

:mrgreen: Apparently sometime 2007 while all these guys are rushing out getting intels I'm putting cash away for 65nm FX...??:dance: :dance:

7. Chai

I'm one of those guys who wants every last drop of juice, because I run D2OL! :haha:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I can't speak for others, but I REFUSE to turn down graphics quality. This is the same for all. I dont mind turning off AA or lowering the resolution, but I will NEVER turn down the graphics settings. Upcoming games require more processing power. You can't compare Doom3 and FEAR. Which is newer and which is more demanding? :mrgreen: As time goes by, the threshold will be higher and with that, I will maintain the zone that I am comfy in. Game makers can push the features they add as the availible technology gets better and better. I ran Doom3 pretty well with my old set up. Then games like FEAR and BF2 rolled out and it brought my system to its knees. So I upgraded and I will keep that way. I swap things out every 6-12mths except for soundcard and HDDs. It's an expensive hobby but it is still my greatest passion and I also determine whats my cost and value to determine what I get.

So where does OCing come in? I choose to squeeze every last ounce (within reason) of performance from my hardware. If I can run it faster, I will. No such thing as enough, as Chai said.

And also, I love to OC. I believe things should always be used to the max, including my hardware. So I push and push within reason. I tweak tirelessly and I have accomplished somethings that I am very happy with (latest one is DDR600, the 300MHz club - also happy that I am now very familliar to the ram settings in the DFI Bios as a result of research, which is stable, which is faster, what to touch, etc.)

And you can't argue benchies. You can argue with what benchies are good (synthetic & realworld, various bottlenecks) but at the end of the day, raw data and statistics never lie.

Did you look at the links I gave you? :D I am giving you REAL data and not off the bat figures. Did I get the same Frames Per Second? :wicked: I highlighted that the difference between my stock and OC'd is about 10s. More FPS = more headroom for increasing the quality settings. So there? :whistle: It's not a question of how smooth, its a mix of how smooth and at what settings... :mrgreen: Hell I could run anything maxed out at 800x600.. :lol: But I choose to run FEAR at 1280x1024 2aa/4af or 1600x1200 no AA/AF, BF2 at 1280x1024 everything except AA on, HL2 on 1600x1200 4AA/8AF, etc.

As long as I am an enthusiast, I will keep on swapping, tweaking, modding, cooling, OCing, and pushing things. I enjoy testing, benching, reviewing, and writing.

Have a gander at some of the threads:
    http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?t=20199
    http://forums.rojakpot.com/showthread.php?t=19964

Last edited: May 21, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  9. Well that was very well said. :clap:

Hahahaha... I have so much that I want to add to all of the other comments but unfortunately, this is neither the thread for graphics and I need to leave already!! :haha: :haha:

But I just love everyone's ideas here and that's what keeps me coming back to this place. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  10. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

I can't argue with that, I do those very same things.
    It keeps me broke but I love it.
    I just think this conroe thing is getting out of hand.
    I beleive there is a lot of misinformation going round.
    I'm only trying to keep this in perspective and I would wait a liitle (if you can) for conroe to sort out any teething problems or amd's 65nm parts.
    I'm now 38 and have seen this marketing crap before, and I just don't want you guys to go out and blow money because of the hype. Can you remember the intro for the P4, it was supposed to be our saviour! Ever since then I've been very sceptical about intel (I'm not an amd fanboy either)

Just keep up with your research, I'm sure this site will have some interesting reviews between now and christmas.:beer:

BTW I love the 300, I just bought some 2gig EBs for $400 and can only get 275, I think it's the fx. I'm going to get a 170.

11. I was wondering the exact same thing. I wouldn't put it past Intel to use aggressive marketing. I'm not saying that they're lying or anything but maybe simply exaggerating or ballooning too much an otherwise simple truth. :naughty:

This is mainly why I won't consider Intel regardless if they even have a superior product. I don't see their engineers working for excellence and AMD, on the other hand, seems to be doing just that. I'd rather put my money into a company that I feel would be using it properly to improve their products than a company that is simply trying to generate more revenue for their stockholders.

Just my two cents! :mrgreen:

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The purpose of a company IS shareholder wealth maximization. That is the basic principle of Finance. :D Regardless which company it is for whatever reasons. Everyone does things to make a buck (or a few lol - EVEN more so when the company offers stock options to employees.)

Marketing is one thing, actual performance is another. You can hype all you want but if the numbers don't back it up, it would be useless (think NVIDIA FX5800 Ultra.) The benchies out right now of the Intel lineup is very spectacular. Compare that with AMD's latest right now (pointless to speculate on future.)

Why do you say the Intel Engineers don't strive for excellence? I would imagine that they do and are very proud of their offerings right now. Even when I switched to AMD, I never doubted the power of Intel. For one, AMD will never catch up to the production levels of Intel (not in the immediate future that is.) Intel is a few times bigger in terms of capacity. They have a few times more than AMD in terms of assets and budgets.

Sticking to one company if they have a inferior product is silly to me. We live in a free market and enjoy the freedom of choice. My money has always gone to the company with the better product. That ensures that every cent I spend is maximized. :thumb: But then again, like I said, everyone has the right of choice. ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  13. Chai

I find it really funny that some people actually think switching camp is a stupid move.

When the actual product is out, we will have more than enough time to evaluate the actual performance of Conroe before we can actually buy one.

14. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

I think I understand sprankiko.
    At least AMD "appear" to have some morals.
    Money isn't everything. Personally I prefer to make people happy than to twist them for every last cent.
    I'm putting my hands up and getting out of this before it gets political... or is it too late lol........................
    :beer:

15. Hahahaha!!! TOO LATE!! :twisted: :thumb: But you hit the bullseye with that. That is exactly what I meant. It's already an accepted norm that companies should try to make money for their shareholders. I don't mean to say that there's anything wrong with that nor am I saying that switching "camps" is a dumb move. ;)

Maybe it's also because I finished marketing management in college that makes me I feel kind of insulted when I see a company using aggressive marketing techniques and yet their product doesn't completely back all the hype generated by the marketing department. :roll:

Either way, I'm not trying to dictate to anyone which hardware to buy. :thumb: It's not my money anyway. :haha:

16. Chai

Finally, something I can totally agree with.

Agressive marketing? Welcome to the real world. Many computer products are marketed very agressively, it's a matter of how much you accept them. Both Nvidia and ATI have used disgusting marketing before, bashing each other in a rather shocking manner. Cheating drivers, 'confidential documents insulting opposite camps'. At least Intel lets the consumer create the hype for Conroe, which seems to work very well.

At the end of the day, strong marketing can win the battle, like it or not. If not, why would you even bother studying marketing. :mrgreen:

17. Hehehehe... I was trying to transfer school and shift majors when I was a sophomore. :p Damn school, it took them forever to process my papers so I missed my deadline! :shock: So I just decided to finish Marketing. :haha: I then apprenticed as a freelance under one of our country's best international marketer. One of her many prestigious clients included Neiman Marcus. :rolleyes: And it was she that taught me that there's more to marketing than just reaching sales targets and profits. :thumb:

18. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

It underlies everything though. My lecturer constantly reminds us that companies are in business to make profits. Marketing is often a means to an end :mrgreen:

1 person likes this.
  19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Exactly. I am a Business Major (senior year in undergrad business admin with minor in mgmt, diploma in Accounting & Finance with 6 ACCA exemptions.) There is nothing wrong with marketing. Nothing wrong with getting as much profit as you can. What makes people think one company isn't as agressive as the other. Or more ruthless for that matter.

I am also a hardware reviewer and passionate enthusiast. The marketing hype has no effect on me partly coz I know what the BS is and I know what is marketing speak and more importantly, whats the real deal.

AMD is the underdog. Intel is the big player. But I see no difference between the two apart from size. Especially when AMD started to change it's brand image when it first released the Athlon 64 (dropping the image that they're a second class cheaper solution to Intel.)

20. Whoa! You're not exactly the "little" devil that you say you are, psykhotik. :thumb: But congratulations are in order. :clap: Those are truly great achievements. :thumb:

Now I know that businesses are established for the purpose of making money and I did say that this is an accepted norm for companies (:mrgreen:), but when is enough money truly enough? :rolleyes: Although I wouldn't mind having alot of it myself!! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: