Cpu upgrade help please

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Brian J, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Brian J

Brian J Newbie

I have a Toshiba Satalite P205D-S8802 Version PSPBLU-01X009B, with a AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Tyler) running V.H.Prem 32bit, 2g memory (my one and only ever computor). I've been told by a computor company that it's going to be very hard to upgrade my cpu. Im not very tech savy compared to most and my internet experience is so close to zero it may as well be. But i have found info on AMD Turion ULTRA's. Will their pin configuration be compatable. As info is limited on this laptop any inform is good inform at the moment.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It's it's very hard to upgrade CPU, and many times impossible since some CPU are soldered directly on to the motherboard. Just get a new laptop.

3. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

err, it's sorta impossible to change the cpu of a laptop though..although it is possible but surely it cost a lot..getting a new laptop will be cheaper than changing the processor imo..

4. Brian J

Brian J Newbie

Thanx for the advice ppl, i just purchased this one for lots and to spend the same amount or more hurts. The only down side realy is the shared graphics, the upside, processor has a windows index of 4.9 and 17inch screen

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

It's pretty difficult to have a processor change in the laptop. Most of the time, the retail laptop processor is not that cheap, and you might need to order it somewhere else like Newegg. :)

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, unless you play 3D games or HD videos, the integrated graphics chip is good enough.

If you do upgrade, you might want to get a notebook based on the Intel Core 2 processor though. It's a much faster processor than the AMD Turion.

7. Brian J

Brian J Newbie

What i have found out is that Turion Ultra have the same pins 638, their both share the S1 socket, BUT i have a ATI RS690M chipset and Ultra's are made for a RS780M chip set, S.Sandra says that i can upgrade. still have some home work to do. Im still smiling. thanx

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Even if it's possible to upgrade the processor, I still wouldn't recommend you to upgrade on your own. It's nothing like changing a processor on a desktop PC. Dismantling a notebook which involves up to 40 screws (sometimes) is already a pain.

But if you still insist to try it, good luck to you.

9. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Based on my experience...

Notebook disassembly = easy...

Notebook reassembly = :wall:

Be careful.........:arp:

10. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Based on my experience on notebooks (IBMs and HP) the CPU are not soldered onto the board, Older notebooks maybe easier to disassemble, new ones like the current HP models uses a lot of clip-ons are a pain to disassemble and assemble.

But most Notebooks are bios locked on which part they used, so chances are it will not work but hey it's ur call.

11. dethalis

dethalis Newbie

upgrading a processor in a laptop is difficult and expensive as the processor chip itself if you can find one that is supported by that laptop's motherboard is expensive. You would be better off buying a new laptop or putting as much ram as you can in it. Crucial states that that unit will accept up to 4gb of PC-6400 ddr2 memory i would do that. With vista 32bit you will only beable to use 3gb of the 4gb but that is still gonna help alot when it comes to vista. Vista loves ram.