CPU Usage rises to 100%

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by fuzzy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think he's trying to make a joke here...

2. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Is that so? Well .. ^^

3. Assassin

Assassin Newbie

This happen to me before. The CPU Usage will shoot up to 100% even I don't open any application. Finally i found out that is my graphic card faulty. If after you format your Windows still have same problem then better check your hardware.

1 person likes this.
  4. grungemann

grungemann Newbie

AMD64 processor usage Issue

Try this.

1. open control panel --> system

2. Select the advance tab & click the settings button.

3. Select the advance tab

3.1 click the processor scheduling setting to background services and then to programs again.

3.2 click the memory usage setting to system cache and then to programs again.

4. Click the ok button.

5. Reboot the system.

I had the same experiance and able to solve it that way. :lol:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

This actually happened to me and my friend before, where both of our PCs are on a LAN. When this happened, we simply disconnected our PC from our LAN and it worked. Until now I'm still don't know what is causing all these.

6. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

This is just a theory, but if you were using a LAN adapter with poorly written drivers and it was being blasted with broadcast packets, maybe this happened?

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Maybe there's a worm in the network that's jamming up the whole network?

MS Sql installed in you PC? sounds a lot like the infamous blaster worm

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

erm... We don't have internet access :mrgreen: It's quite impossible for our computer to get infected by virus

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

who says you need internet access to get infected by virus ;)

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I know, but we are not copying any files that might be a virus from other computers, we only copied some homework stuffs from our campus.

11. zy

homework stuff from campus :)

is your antivirus updated ? :)

did you know that documents can be infected by virus too ? ROTFL :)

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Do you really think that I don't know that? :)

Those documents are quite impossible to be virus infected :mrgreen: My another friend copied those files too, but he and his friends do not have such problems.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  13. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

just give us a screenie of your task manager when it's at 100%.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I'm at my hometown now so I can't take any screenshot. Plus, it's actually my friend's A64 system having that problem. My AXP is okay :mrgreen:

15. cewong

cewong Newbie

new here,same prob!

I consider myself technology illiterate and new to all these pc stuff. I have got myself a new pc, like 5 month ago. I don't know what info should i provide about my pc, tell me if necessary.
    It ran fine until few days before the cpu usage shoots high.(over 50,it fluctuates between 0-3 before)
    I think i did not install anything new,so i google the problem and it brought me here. I have run some check up for spam,spyware and virus,they may not be a good system,but i try to use what the forums recommend.
    Something strange happened when i try to do something on it. So i wonder,besides the spam...etc problems,would it be possible if it has something to do with the wireless card? Because when it connected then the cpu usage would rise. I restarted a few times and disable the wireless connection or repair it( a few tries) and somehow the usage rates returned(below 10)
    I am using d-link,it can't be suddenly spoiled,can it?
    Since then,whenever i shut down my pc, it faces problem ending the "window application".
    It's quite lengthy and not arranged,but i hope someone could help. With my unexperienced instinct,i think there must be something wrong.
    Thanks.

16. zy

sometimes when i program hangs or does not function properly, it can cause high cpu usage too.

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. It could be normal. Sometimes, flash videos / banners / graphics will cause full CPU loads.

What anti-spyware scanner did you use? And are you running an anti-virus software in the background?

18. cewong

cewong Newbie

Dr,
    i scanned it with avg, spybot,i even defragmented it. Everything is just fine. Yes, i have superantispyware running too.
    Now it is just fine. But whenever i reboot it, the problem returned. With the cpu on my desk, it is terrible to hear it sound like going to explode and i bet you can't do anything with the machine running like that beside.
    By the way, i was not opening some flash or stuff like that. In fact when i did before,it was ok. Now,after i reboot and all the programmes started,then the cpu usage will rise. So i shut down all those programme like msn,bitcomet,etc,but it still remains.

19. zy

right click your task bar .. then click Task Manager

from there .. go to Processes .. see whats taking up so much cpu load.

20. cewong

cewong Newbie

Well, i had checked it before. But the most consuming are IE,firefox and the torrent and nothing else. Oh ya,the svhost.exe thing. But they were like 70k for the highest.