CPU Usage rises to 100%

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by fuzzy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

svhost? .. or svchost?

if its svhost it is likely a spyware/virus/trojan

you should have antivirus & antispyware

both of them should be constantly updated.

2. cewong

cewong Newbie

oh ya thanks, and it's svchost.
    haha...sorry for the overlooking,i did get them updated.
    but i am sure i din miss that part of my cpu usage being high,because even if i did,i still can hear the sound from the machine pretty clearly.
    actually i just wonder if it is not virus or some other malice softwares,could it be something else that would result in this?
    say...hardware? 10s again dude.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, svchost is just "a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs)". Meaning it's a catchall for a bunch of services.

To actually see what's running under svchost, you need to type this at the command prompt - Tasklist /SVC

More info here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056

4. Adrian Wong

Well, it would be useful if you can check your Device Manager, even get a screenshot of it. See if there are any problems with the hardware listed.

BTW, you should also list your system specs.

5. cewong

cewong Newbie

how actually to do that? How to get to the device manager thing?
    Where to get the system specs? Fromt the system info? Which part do u want?

6. Adrian Wong

Device Manager?

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager.

Well, you purchased the system, right? You should at least have some idea what is in your PC. :mrgreen:

7. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

To see the Device Manager,go to Start,Run & type "taskmgr" .U'll see a window called Windows Task Manager.Go to the "Processes" Tab & u'll get to see what programs r running.After opening the Processes tab,find those programs which r taking most of ur CPU usages & press the Print Screen button on ur Keyboard.After that go to Paint & Paste by pressing Ctrl+V.U'll see the window saved here as a picture.Save the file in Paint & post the link of that image in this forum.

8. cewong

cewong Newbie

windows xp
    pentium d 945GPM/3400Mhz
    1024 memory
    It raised whenever i restarted. But just now i disconnect the wireless,exit everything i know and the usage drop after like 5 minutes.I posted the screenshot of the processes when i first restarted(high usage) ,when it drops and the device manager u require.
    Graphic1.jpg

1.jpg

new-1.jpg

9. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. What you should do is click on the CPU title to arrange them according to CPU usage. Easier to find what's taking up so much CPU time.

BTW, looks like one of your devices have not been installed. Do you have any idea what it is?

Also, any reason why you disabled your Intel Gigabit LAN?

10. cewong

cewong Newbie

For the Intel Gigabit LAN thing, because i am using wireless so i just disable it.
    The devices that is not installed...emm
    when i run all those installation disc,some of the installation is not complete and the disc somehow not working anymore.
    The location is on Intel(R) 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface,is this helping?
    I will get another shot when the usage raises at my next reboot,i can't purposely making it raises right,since it is ok now. But thanks anyway. REally appreciate it.

11. Adrian Wong

Oh, that's a pretty important component...

You better download and install the latest drivers. You can get them here - http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-020683.htm

12. cewong

cewong Newbie

I think i kind of identified what causes the cpu usage to raise. When i reboot,as usual it shoots,than i disconnect and wait till it drops. I noticed that it was this process, IExplore.exe that consumes the highest charge and it drops drastically when my pc usage drops. Mean anything?

13. Adrian Wong

Well, IE uses the processor to render those HTML pages. My CPU usage maxes out when I load many pages at the same time.

But if you are loading only a few pages, it could be a flash movie, banner, or something like that. Certainly nothing to be worried about, unless it continuously runs at full CPU usage, even after the page loads completely.

14. CALLOFDUTY05

CALLOFDUTY05 Newbie

I.E. does have a peculiar problem.Sometimes, it shows that Internet Explorer has caused a problem & needs to close.Mozilla & Opera don't suffer from this problem.

15. Adrian Wong

Err.. I beg to differ. I've had Firefox hog the CPU on many occasions as well.

IMHO, sometimes, it's not so much the browser but more of the stuff you are browsing.