Cracks in my condo unit!

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, May 25, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

After the big quake (and tsunami) off Sumatra, I noticed a 5.5 ft (1.8m) long crack in the ceiling over my bed.

And today, I just found a 6-7 feet (2-2.5m) long crack in the kitchen ceiling! :shock:

It wasn't there during the big quake, so it must have been the result of the last (smaller) quake off Sumatra.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. But man, this is rather troubling...

My condominium only has 9 floors and my unit is only on the 3rd floor. I can only imagine the damage on the upper levels. :shifty:

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

move out ASAP :shifty:

3. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

This make people worry and dun dare to buy any condo or apartment unit :hand:

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I hope my condo has no damage... :shock:

5. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

So Fragile Ur Condo Boss :think:

6. Adrian Wong

I am! :mrgreen:

In fact, from today onwards, I should be staying in my house. Just have to finish transporting the rest of my stuff.

7. Adrian Wong

Well, I hope not. Maybe Melaka is more affected by the earthquake, compared to elsewhere in Malaysia... because during the last earthquake, it was really noticeable here, but Chai over in KL didn't even feel it. :think:

Most of the condominiums and high-rise buildings in Malaysia, completed or under construction, are not built to withstand such shocks. So, it's really no surprise to see cracks in my condo unit.

8. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

Any house warming party? :)

9. Adrian Wong

Well, you gotta look with the lights off. It's hard to see them with the ceiling lights on.

That's the reason why I didn't notice the kitchen crack earlier. My condo's kitchen does not have any natural light filtering in, so I always turn on the kitchen lights.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Don't forget, Chai is sitting on a raised platform so the shock could have already been absorbed by the platform construction.

11. Adrian Wong

If there is, will you come? :wicked:

12. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. but I don't htink anyone else in KL felt it. Did you? :think:

Over here, I could actually see my notebook swaying! :mrgreen:

13. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Melaka near to Indonesia that why.... Ya i think malaysia need to have those high-rise buildings standby for the future shocks that i believe will happen agains... :think: :cry:

14. digitalvoice

digitalvoice Newbie

You're quite right. Malaysians generally do not think that earthquake will affect this region...until the big one in Sumatra last Dec.

1 person likes this.
  15. sunsetbay

sunsetbay Newbie

anything can happen... maybe like this:

[​IMG]

16. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

lets hope thats not gonna happen :snooty:

17. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Just wish it will not happen like the day after tomorrow... :naughty:

So how is the piping in your condo Adrian.... any leaking :think:

18. Adrian Wong

Yup, they should. You never know how bad the next one will be.

But I think by the time they get it gazetted as the law, lots of condominiums would have been built.

I certainly hope there will be no more earthquakes (although they did predict a big one coming soon :shifty: ).

19. Adrian Wong

Now that you mention it... there's leaking actually, from the pipes in the walls.

In the recent months, we started noticing the paint on the walls "bubbling".

It's like water was leaking from inside the walls and causing the paint to expand outwards like tiny balloons. The walls now look like they have a really bad case of acne. :shock:

20. Adrian Wong

Here are some pictures of the cracks and water damage.

Not very good shots, I'm afraid. It's not easy to show how far they extend and yet show the details.

Picture 1 : Crack in the kitchen ceiling. About 6-7 feet (2-2.5m) long.

Picture 2 : Crack in my bedroom ceiling. About 5.5 feet (1.8m) long.

Picture 3 : Water damage to one of the walls.

Attached Files: