Critical flaw found in Sandy Bridge chipset

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by jamotto, Feb 1, 2011.

1. jamotto

jamotto Newbie

Intel reveals design flaw in Sandy Bridge chipset | Business Tech - CNET News

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah I read that this morning... Just as I ordered a system to build for my dad too...

But I also read that the 6GB ports aren't affected.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Luckily I've already upgraded my machine. It will only affect the desktop motherboards.

5. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

In time...so why start to panic? Most of the users will for sure upgrade in 2-3 years, Intel and AMD will take care anyway of that rate of upgrade by inventing new sockets-processors...

6. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Just use port 1 - 2 don't use the rest.

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, just use Ports 1 and 2. Those are unaffected by the flaw.

You can use Ports 3 through 6 but they just won't last "forever" - probably die in 2-3 years, so if you are one of those who have more than 2 hard disk drives, it would be a good idea to get the motherboard replaced when the new chipset C stepping ships.

Most notebooks should not be affected by this problem, but you never know. Some manufacturers may, for some unknown reason, choose to use the affected ports, instead of SATA Port 1 or SATA Port 2. I'm going to avoid buying my replacement notebook until the new motherboards ship in April-May.

8. Adrian Wong

9. Chai

But I'm using 3 ports. :mrgreen: Maybe more once I get the 2TB. :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

Me too, which is why if I want to upgrade to Sandy Bridge, I will wait until the C stepping chipsets ship. Sure, Intel's going to eventually replace the affected motherboards, but it's going to be a hassle to get the replacement. Better be a little patient and wait for the new stepping.

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

12. Chai

Gigabyte has announced also. Most of them have announced the recall.

13. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I gave up on purchasing the Evo model from Asus and decided to wait a little longer...on almost every site I watch for the components the boards affected became unavailable overnight.

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

No money to upgrade... and I'm using 7 SATA ports. :faint:

15. Adrian Wong

Well, Intel resumed shipments of the affected chipsets with the caveat that the affected ports must not be used. This would be for notebooks since most notebooks only use 1 or 2 ports. That should please Intel shareholders. :D

I also believe notebooks that do not use the affected ports will not be replaced.

16. Adrian Wong

You should consider getting a SATA dock. That will allow you to support a lot of hard disk drives without actually powering them up. Just drop one in when you need one - it turns your hard disk drives into very large DVDs!

You can even buy docks that support IDE.

17. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

i would be very very piss if i bought a product with such flaw..how can a flaw like this get escaped lol

18. Chai

But they will allow you to have 1-to-1 exchange for all major motherboard manufacturer.

19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

still all the hassle like fix up everything nicely but have to remove again and wasting time, fuel, energy to get it exchange :mrgreen:

20. Chai

And the B3 chipset is already out now. So f yu buy now, you shouldn't have to face any exchange. :mrgreen: