CS5 is back!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chai, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nah...not really...:haha:

Anyway, I'm been researching on batteries, specifically on 18650 cells. It is a 3.7V Li-Ion cell, used in all sorts of applications from laptop batteries, e-cigarette, power bank, torch etc.

Like any other types of cell, there any many different brands from the reputable Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony to the Chinese low quality brand (yes, they are associated with cheap and poor quality again).

Panasonic is probably the king of 18650 cell. They make one of the highest capacity 3400mAh cells, but they don't seem to hold voltage very well.

Sanyo is another popular brand. Although their capacity is not as high as Panasonic's, but the 2600/2800mAh holds it voltage longer, which will translate to longer life if the devices have narrow operating voltage range.

I extracted a reasonably new Lenovo X220 9 cell battery, and they come with 9x Sanyo UR18650FM 2600mAh as you would expect.

I bought a separate 18650 charger for these batteries. I'm going to use them for custom battery pack for my bike torch light, and maybe for a 4 or 6 cell power bank.

$17.57 QIDIAN 3-Piece 1A/1.5A/2A/4A 6*18650 Dual USB Output Mobile Power Pack Battery Charger Kit at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$17.34 QIDIAN 3-Piece 3A 1-4*18650 Dual USB Output Mobile Power Pack Battery Charger Kit at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! I thought it was for real! :haha:

Hey, you just broke open the battery pack to extract them?

May be a good idea for a guide, if you are interested in writing! :D

3. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Got me to look... :haha:
    *now I have to go back and see what you are doing*

Interesting... battery surgery. You would think that there is some of tabulated list of this "out there somewhere". :think"

4. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I wish they would standardize these 3.7V li-ion cells, then we don't have to use manufacturer-specific cells for each and every electronic device that uses li-ion.

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm using both Panasonic and Sanyo 2600mAh for my eVic. :dance: :dance: :dance:

6. Chai

Why are they not standard? AFAIK, all 18650 cells should work in all devices, except a number of factors, but none of them are due to manufacturer-specific specs:

- Button top (like a normal AA cell) and flat top (some manufacturers make both types)
    - unprotected and protected cells (affected the dimensions of the battery, and protected cells are not factory cells)

All of them are rated at 3.7V, with a wide operating voltage from 3.2V to 4.2V.

Dashken: Didn't know you smoke...

Adrian: Nah, I think there's too many articles out there on this topics. Many of them are very well written, for both layman and enthusiast.

7. Adrian Wong

That guy has been puffing like forever... I hope his fiancée convinces him to stop. Maybe withholding the honey will do the trick... Hehehehehe... ;)

8. Chai

That shows how long he has not turned up...

9. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Well, not 18650-specific, but rather in general terms. If they sold these cells in several standard sizes (like our AAA, AA, etc), and if we could buy them for digital devices instead of having to buy manufacturer-specific prepackaged blocks (well, we still need these blocks, but they should be setup as a cartridge system for inserting cells instead of a sealed black box).

10. Chai

Yeah. I see your point.

But Li-Ion are pretty unsafe in general, and without proper care and knowledge about them, they can be quite dangerous. Look at how many laptops, phones blew up. And those are properly protected batteries (battery protection and physical protection). Although they are leaps ahead of AA cells, but it is not recommended for most consumers.

11. Adrian Wong

Yeah, they are really not that safe. I have three bloated Li Ion battery packs with me right now. That reminds me... I better go dispose of them before they blow up! :haha:

I've been keeping them to dispose off properly at a battery recycling bin at the Nokia store at the Curve.

12. Chai

While dismantling the X220 battery, I shorted one of the circuit and it burnt partially and I had to throw the battery pack on the floor fearing for serious fire. Thankfully no damaged was done, and all batteries are still chargable and functioning.

So my advise is, don't do it if you are not sure, and most of the time, these batteries are probably towards the end of its life. No point resurrecting them. I doubt you will destroy a usable, less than 2 year old battery pack when the notebook is probably still under warranty.

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Hmm I have a bloated Nokia battery lying around somewhere, lol...

Also my first iPod Classic had a bloated battery which started to put pressure on the LCD screen causing visual anomalies.

14. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That's dangerous... :shock:

Did it catch on fire, or only melted? Got a picture?

15. Chai

Nope, just melted the wires.

16. AllenKobe

AllenKobe Newbie

I use my inshare Luxe Series vape

Battery capacity: 420mAh :)

17. Adrian Wong

As in an electronic cigarette??? How much can the 420 mAh charge?