DDR3 - Need advice

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by DarKSeeD, Mar 28, 2011.

1. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I'm upgrading my system and I will purchase 8GB DDR3@1600Mhz CL9 9-9-9-24 Corsair but I still need to decide if I should get 4x2GB or 2x4GB.
    The rest of the setup will be Intel i5-2500K + Asus P8P67Deluxe.
    In theory 4x2GB will induce some more strain to the system but I don't think that would count that much.
    Any other ideas?
    Thank you.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Personally I would prefer 2x4GB config, especially if you are not concerned about the timings.

So far, I have not heard of issues running 4x2GB though.

3. ana3mic

ana3mic Newbie

I'll suggest a 1.5V sticks, the SB IMC seems to handle these better. I would prefer 2x4GB if the price is not much higher, as this configuration seems to have a lot less possible problems with the ICM of the CPU, better space computability with after-market CPU coolers and leaves you space to upgrade to 4x4GB (if you ever feel the urge to :shock:).

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. The rule of thumb (if you are overclocking or tweaking the timings) is the fewer number of modules, the easier it is to overclock or tweak the timings. Also, the fewer the modules - the lower the power consumption.

I personally prefer 4 GB x 2, as opposed to 2 GB x 4. Plus, if you go with 4 GB x 2, you have the option of upgrading to 16 GB :shock: in the future! :thumb:

5. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

comes to ram the more the better even cant utilise it :mrgreen:

i would go for 2X4gb as well, prices are affordable nowdays time to grab as much you can :thumb:

6. k44k

k44k Newbie

Go for 2 X 4GB & can add another 2 X 4GB later if your mobo supports :D

7. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I've decided to go with 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance@1600-CL9. I'll do some test when the system is done and post back the results. Thank you for the replies.

8. Chai

Do you overclock you system? If not, I would recommend you to get normal value RAM. They are more then sufficient, since the latest Intel processors do not really require high memory bandwidth as they used to.

9. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Yes, I'll get the i5-2500K and guess I'll keep it on 4GHz+ of course that depends on how stable it will be.

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Don't forget to post your x264 HD Benchmark 4.0 scores!! :beer:

11. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I still need a week or so to receive all the components then I will start benchmarking. Meanwhile I will test with the current setup to have some results to compare.

12. Chai

If you are getting the latest i5, I think there's even less reason to get high performance RAM modules since the only way to overclock is increasing multipliers.

13. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

The price for the memory is aprox. 140$. Cheaper modules are 10-15$ less.

14. ana3mic

ana3mic Newbie

Yes, it all depends on the market. Also when you buy Corsair (and other good brands) you get a warranty you can count on!

15. Chai

Then I guess it's ok. Our performance memory is up to 2 times more expensive!

16. ana3mic

ana3mic Newbie

PC part prices here in Eastern Europe are somehow kind of different from the rest of the world :D. Some expensive stuff are sometimes cheap, But most of the times cheap stuff is expensive here :haha: