Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by peaz, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

They call it 9600 Pro because the core speed is running at 400MHz, which is the same as the real 9600 Pro, but the memory speed is 100MHz lower, using cheaper TSOP RAMs.

2. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

oh. darn people.........

and on my side, when i typed the post i mentioned the FX5700 i'm using was at 425 core speed. even then i was puzzled as how it was suddenly 425, later i realized it was the Coobits registry patch that i installed that make it such. originally it was only 300.

darn. 300/550 instead of 425/600. however i'm running at 425/625 now. going to try OC more. memory seems to reach its limit though. higher speeds give artifacts.

3. Chai

Hello everyone! [​IMG]

I has just updated The Desktop GPU Comparison Guide! [​IMG]

Here are the updates (since Rev. 2.0) :-

- Added the new NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra and GeForce 6800 GPUs.
    - Added the PowerVR and Intel sections.
    - Added the ATI Radeons 9800 Pro 256MB, ATI AIW Radeon 9600XT, Radeon 9200SE, AIW Radeon 9200, AIW Radeon 7500, Radeon 7500LE and Radeon 7000 PCI.
    - Added the Matrox G200 Rev. 3, G400 and various Parhelia-512 variants.
    - Corrected mistakes in the specifications of the NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200, MX440-8X and MX440 SE GPUs.
    - Corrected numerous mistakes in the ATI section
    - Corrected specification mistakes in all XGI GPUs.

[​IMG]

Come check the updated guide here - The Desktop GPU Comparison Guide Rev. 3.0! [​IMG]

4. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

Hmmmm DirectX 9.0C ???? Is this gonna be a surprise?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Surprise? Nope.

The NV40 core supports the upcoming DirectX 9.0C.

6. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

6800Ultra is like a monster, the R420 better be good :D

7. sputnik1969

sputnik1969 Newbie

SIS Chips

Sorry, but i must tell you, that there are mistakes in your list:

All SIS Xabre GPU's are a 2x4 Design, not a 4x2, there are just 2 Pixelpipes with 4 Textureunits in each pipe... (Look http://tech-report.com/etc/comparo/graphics/)

They are also FULL DX 8.1, because DX8.1 allows Vertexshaders to be Software-emulated...

Xabre 80 doesn't have DDR-Ram but SDR-Ram.

ATI 9600 Pro comes with 400/300 MHz and ATI 9600 Pro LE comes with 400/200.
    There were also Radeon 9100 with 230/200 MHz (also called Radeon 8500 LELE) on the market.

The Volari V3 supports Pixelshader 1.3 and Vertexshader 1.1

I would also advice you to include ATI's Rage Pro / 128 (Pro) and Nvidias TNT/TNT2 Series, if you include such old Matrox-Chips like G100/G200 and PXC1/PCX2, if you need infos about them, send me a mail...

I hope this will help you to Update your Guide...

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I'll update the specs of the Xabre series ASAP :mrgreen:

9. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Newbie

the Matrox section is off on several points

Hello:

The Matrox section is missing two cards (at least) the Millennium P650, and Millennium P750. Each of these is "half" the Parhelia GPU with FOUR pipelines -- the Parhelia's all have EIGHT, IINM. The differences between the P650 and P750 is clockspeeds and outputs -- the P750 has a separate TV out.

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Thanks for the info :mrgreen:
    i'll update that ASAP :mrgreen:

11. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Newbie

also the OEM Parhelia is slightly lower clockspeed

Hello:

Also the OEM Parhelia is slightly lower clockspeed than the Retail version.

12. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Do you have the exact clock speed? :mrgreen:

13. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Newbie

Parhelia Retail = 220mHz GPU, 275Mhz RAM
    Parhelia OEM = 200Mhz GPU, 250MHz RAM

I think that you are right on the pipelines: 4X4 though the GPU is 512bit, and the RAM bus is 256bit.

The Millennium P650 & P750 are 256bit GPU with 128bit RAM. I'm also realizing that the Parhelia LX may be the same thing as the Millennium P650.

Here's a useful link:http://techreport.com/reviews/2003q3/matrox-p750/index.x?pg=1
    ...they mention that Matrox has not released any clockspeed numbers on the P650/750.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Thanks for the link! :D

The clock speeds got the OEM and retails are correct :mrgreen: There are two versions of the retail Parhelia 512, 128MB and 256MB. Their speeds are different :mrgreen:

15. Chai

16. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Newbie

I was born in Sarawak!

Hello Max_87:

I just spotted your location in Sarawak -- I was *born* in Kapit, Sarawak! :shock: :D My parents were Methodist missionaries, and they were there in Sibu, Kapit, and other places that I can't spell...it sure is a small world, huh?

Unfortunately, the main page and the GPU guide are giving me errors at the moment... :?

[Edit] It's back up, but now I'm really confused! The Parhelia's and P650/P750/LX are MISSING! :?

17. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

You're from Sarawak too? :D

They are inside the Workstation GPU guide :mrgreen:
    Please check the revision history :mrgreen:

18. Adrian Wong

Re: I was born in Sarawak!

ROTFL! It's a small world, indeed! :mrgreen:

We moved it all to the Workstation Graphics Card Comparison Guide because those cards were not meant for desktop systems. Definitely workstation-grade cards.

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

20. Adrian Wong